Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Running out of Class C addresses any ideas 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

ecoates

IS-IT--Management
Jan 27, 2002
CA
Our network is using class C addresses in the 192.168.0.0 range and we are 85% full. In six months we will be taking on another department and adding 100-150 more users. IT would be great to re-number the network with Class A or B address but we are somewhat complicated with static routes on our integration router to a higher (hard to move) government. Before I commit a lot of time and work to re-numbering I am open to exploring alternatives. Any Ideas?
Thank you. Ernie
If everyone gave more than they received, the world would be a better place.

Are you saying you've used up 192.168.0.0 through 192.168.255.255??? That's over 64,000 workstations....

Now, if you are saying you've used up all of a 192.168.x.1-254 range, then you can start playing around with the subnetting and move to a 255.255.0.0 or any variation thereof that would allow you to start using the 3rd octet for your IP addresses.

i.e. 192.168.1.50/16 would be on the same subnet as 192.168.220.1/16

If you are DHCP this is even easier as you can change the scope options for the new subnet and just modify your scope to include the new range.

Hope that points you in the right direction.

Yes the IP's are in the 192.168.x.1-254 range.
DHCP is being used except for static addressing for servers, routers, switches and printers.
I will look into the subnetting. I guess need to do some reading because I don't completely understand subnetting regardless of how many times it has been included on networking courses. I only seem to remember something if I use it frequently
Thankyou for the feedback. Ernie
If everyone gave more than they received, the world would be a better place.

Grdprx
He said that he is using a class c license which means that the network id is 192.168.100.X where x is the host id which means he can only have 253 addresses available. Class c uses the first three octets and the last octet is the host id and this needs to be unique. So he would have to go to Class B where he would get the 64,000 plus workstations Jimmy
Sys Admin

You may want to consider configuring vlans on your network. This would require using your switches and routers to accomplish this. This may give you the most flexibility and save you a lot of time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back