Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Running my vb 2005 app from another computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

markhkram

IS-IT--Management
Dec 30, 2008
US
I have a simple application that reads the registry of the local computer. When I place the executable on the current machine, it works great. However when I run the application from a remote computer using the unc path (\\computer\share), it doesn't read/write to the local registry, and produces errors. Simply copying over the exe and running it on the local computer fixes it.

My question is, how do I make it run from the unc path so that it runs the exact same as running it locally? Is there any setting I can set before I compile?

I have a similar app in vb6 that works perfectly using the unc.

Ok, so I used CasPol.exe to edit the security policy on the local machine, and it works great. However, since I will be deploying this to a lot of people, I don't want to mess with CasPol.exe if possible.

Is there a way to turn off security of the application when I compile it so that it doesn't check?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back