Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Running Micros 3700 EM - Want to update EM & stores

Status
Not open for further replies.

DatFatMan

IS-IT--Management
Jun 6, 2024
US
Long time lurker here!

I manage a 5.7.0.471 EM server, Single concept, and 4 locations (5.7.5 @ 3 locations, 5.5.0700.5667 at the 4th, plus a 5.7.5 lab). Stores have a mix of WS6XX, ws5a & ws310 terminals, with a couple windows tablets set up for clock in/out.

I'm looking to upgrade them all to 5.7.7, and the EM to whatever version is best for EoL. I currently have an Oracle SI so I can download files if needed (Been backing up as much as I can honestly), and while we have a 3rd party vendor, they charge absurd amounts (And lie on certain subjects...) to do anything so I have taken to doing things in house.

My questions are:

-Do I upgrade the EM or stores first? 5.7.0.471 is compatible with all of them so I wouldn't think it matters, BUT errant assumptions lead to downtime.
-When I upgrade the EM, do I need to relink the stores by running the store setup? or since it is the same major version, is it fine?
-5.5 upgrade path - do I just run the 5.7.0 prereqs, upgrade to 5.7.0, then 5.7.7?

Additionally, anyone know if Blink of death Workstation 610's can be revived, or are they only good for ram, screens, and mag readers?

>5.5 upgrade path - do I just run the 5.7.0 prereqs, upgrade to 5.7.0, then 5.7.7?

You can directly upgrade,

5.7.6 is good, in product for years, fairly reliable. I never ran 5.7.7 or 5.7.8 before ditching out RES.

I heard some bad comments about 5.7.8.

>Additionally, anyone know if Blink of death Workstation 610's can be revived, or are they only good for ram, screens, and mag readers?

I suggest using iPad + VM. Just keep a few physical terminals.

@Myu516 - Yes! I had actually read through your post before posting here as I didn't know there was a store setup & a central setup before hand. It's what actually brought up this question.

-I know the stores don't NEED to be upgraded to function with 5.7 EM, but we are wanting some of the bugfixes/features with those, along with a consistent version. The single printer issue with 5.5 is a large annoyance for us for example.

I suppose rephrasing my question is - after updating the stores to 5.7.7, do I need to run the EM store setup again? or will that still be in place? Or does that only get run when the EM server gets updated?

I've heard many rough things about 5.7.8, including it murdering IDN printers, which most of our locations use due to simply having them. 5.7.7 seems to be our sweet spot.

Reading the instructions on the 5.7.7 update, it says it requires 5.7 for the update to apply. 5.7 seems to be happy coming from almost anything though.

As for terminals, not a big deal. WS610's can be had far cheaper than Ipads. I was just hoping for a use for the stack of 15 dead ones I had after our micros dealer claimed that the BIOS patch to prevent it didn't exist to lead us into buying new terminals. What client did you use to run it though, just out of curiosity? Some RDP client? I've had amazing luck running RES directly on some ancient Surface 3 (non pro's) but always curious to learn of new ways.

Didn't make a documentation for the one-off project so don't remember clearly. If memory serves correctly, I didn't run EM's store setup at first, and it worked. Later on I upgraded store's EM, and got a problem at one location.

Yes, the client I work with use RDP client (remotix rdp kiosk). About 30 - 40 VMs per location. Custom built iPad mini case, with built-in Square payment (through a payment solution based on Square). Guests like it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back