Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Running low on storage on a Ex 5.5 bridgehead server, need help quick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

tdoma

IS-IT--Management
Aug 13, 2003
US
Our environment is a multi Exchange server , with a mix of E2K3 and 1 Exch 5.5. The storage issue is on the 5.5 box. The 5.5 box is setup as a bridgehead server without any recipients. Any incoming external email comes through the Exchange 5.5 box 1st. I have noticed that the priv.edb is 24GB, and the pub.edb is 68MB, 326+ edb logs. Should the priv.edb be this large, especially since there are no mailboxes stored on this server? Should we be having that many edb logs? Would it be safe if I were to stop the Exchange related services, and rename both priv and pub EDBs, and then restart the Exchange services? I will monitor the performance of the server for 24 hours. If there no issues within the 24 hours, after backing up the re-named priv and pub, can I safely delete them? Additional information: yesterday afternoon there was about 1.5GB of free space, but that was all gone by 10 AM today.
Please help, getting desparate!

You can stop all Exchange services by stopping System Attendant, move only the Private.edb and Public.edb to a temp folder, then restart all Exchange Services, new Private.edb and Public.edb will be created with zero white spaces in them. Then you can safely delete the old ones if no problem in the event log.

If you do see problems, do the same above, and replace with the old database files. Then do offline defrag with this command on these database: ESEUTIL /d

Give it some time to finish, because it can be stuck at 100% for a few hours. The time scale latency reflects on your drive speed and memory.

Have users move emails to PST files. Run backup utility and run a FULL backup on your Exchange IS. This should delete the transaction logs and free up space. Implement some sort of archiving procedures, teach your users, adhere to them.

Use the performance wizard it will re-allocate the data especially if you have anotehr drive. Might be woth fiting one if not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back