Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

running low on space on server

Status
Not open for further replies.

brocklanders2124

Technical User
Sep 10, 2003
US
My exchange server which only has about 20 users currently seems to be running out of space quickly, it blue screens and starts a physical dump. Is this from the mdbdata log files. I have veritas backups but I don't think its backing up my exchange box. -help down to 144mb and going quick

-Brocklanders

You have to have the Exchange Agent for the Veritas to backup the Exchange portion of the server. If you don't have that, then most likely what's taking up all the space are the Exchange logs. Look in your <root>\exchsrvr\mdbdata folder to see your log files. Only an Exchange aware backup program will backup Exchange properly, which will result in the log files automatically being removed.

I'm Certifiable, not certified.
It just means my answers are from experience, not a book.

I have gotten into my exchsrvr/mdbdata from mapping to my local machine. It is loaded. So my next question is can I remove the older logs and do I have to have exchange agent loaded on my exchange box as well. Im running backups from veritas on my file/print server. Would this cause it to blue screen everytime I try to login.

-thanks

From personal experience (btw lander215 - i love your tagline) the best bet is to back up Exchange with Microsoft Backup (this is where 1/2 of the people cringe) and then use your veritas to back up that file.

In the past I've just always had better luck doing a restore from the MS backup than from any other.

Do not delete the log files until after you get a good backup. Do you have space on another drive on that server? If so put your MS backup there. When that one is done you 'should' be good.

Also, how big is you message store(s) and what version are you running?

When you perform a full backup of the IS, it will delete the old transaction logs automatically. If you don't have the Veritas Exchange agent, you can use NTBACKUP from the local Exchange server to perform the backup.

Even though it is probably safe to delete the older transaction logs, it is not recommended.

The other option that you have is to turn on circular logging. What this does is overwrite the oldest logs with newer information; but the downside is it limits your ability to reply logs for recovery.

The problem Im having is not being able to get into the darn machine via login. How would I perform a msbackup of the machine if I can't login into the darn machine. I only have 4g of space on my C(exchange) and a ton on my D(exchange) so I can store it on D.

-Thanks

Since you are running the IS on your C:\ partition I recommend killing any temp files to gain anything you can. If you need to stop the services use SRVMGR to do it remotely.

What happens when you try to log on locally to your exchange server? Are you saying it crashes? Does it give you any error message(s)?

If you don't have the Veritas Exchange Agent (it's a separate purchase, not included with the standard backup software), then use the NTBackup trick that icvanstra discusses, it'll work. The key is to get an Exchange aware backup done so that the log files will be automatically deleted.

I'm Certifiable, not certified.
It just means my answers are from experience, not a book.

How do you recover from the dump? Have you tried running windows repair from the windows CD. is there a free machine that you can put the exchange hard drive into as a primary and then run an antivirus program?

[afro]

I ran a virus scan on the machine already and it came up with nothing. I do have a free server I could swap the drive into.

Try restarting the server in safe mode, DS restore mode if it's a DC, which I hope it's not.

If that fails, what about the recovery console.

Then move those logfiles out of the way, don't delete them if you can help it. Then do a backup.

We had a client that had 14GB of log files, just because the idiot who configured the backup software thought it was a good idea to backup the M: drive as well. Yes It was me!

One point on this, stay well away from the M drive, no backup, and no virus scan.

Hope it helps,

One last point, has everyone heard of MS Critical Support, you can't use it on your own stuff, but when it comes to customers machines, and you get there and can't login etc. it might just save the day, and it's free.

Chris

Chris Styles

NT4/2000 MCSE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back