Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Running .hlp files from within FPW compiled app(.exe_

Status
Not open for further replies.

Newtonm

Programmer
Nov 8, 2001
CA
I have several FPW 2.6 apps compiled and running under Foxw2600.esl perfectly in win95,win98,win2k-pro and XP-Pro. However the included and context sensitive .hlp files which have been compiled using an .hpj and winhelp 4.03 work fine until we get to 2k and XP. Here they refuse to work within the app BUT will run if started from a desktop icon linked directly to the file. The default file association is Winhelp32.exe however it seems that FPW 2.6 cannot or will not even try to use this help engine. Anyone know of a fix for either the .esl file or maybe foxtools.fll? I do not want to re-create files as HTML (.CHM)help if it can be avoided.
Richard Myers
Four Letter Software Inc.

I believe you'll need to install winhelp.exe (16-bit help engine) in your C:\Windows\ directory for this to work. You may need to check on the redistribution rights with MS on this file (It's installed with FPW2.6, but I not sure you can include with your application - officially).

Rick

Nah!!! It's already there in the Windows folder, along with WINHELP32.exe. Problem is FPW IS using winhelp.exe and NOT winhelp32.exe. I need a way to persuade the runtime (I guess) to use the 32 bit file under XP and 2K
Thanks anyway
Richard Myers

Richard,
You are right, FPW (a 16-bit application) only knows about Winhelp.exe and Help files that are compatible with it. WINHELP is hardcoded in both FOXPROW.EXE and FOXW2600.ESL.

Rick

Hmmmmm...
I was hoping someone would have a patch to fix this...Guess not Eh !!
Thanks fro trying anyway... Richard Myers

Richard,
I had a thought last night about renaming WinHlp32.exe to WinHelp.exe, but that didn't work. First I had problems in XP PRO, because everytime you remove WinHelp.exe it would notice that this &quot;critical&quot; file was missing, and restore it from the system files cache. But even after I got around that, FPW would start the &quot;new&quot; Winhelp, but nothing would show, it just ran invisible and I had to kill it (actually them <g>) in the Task Manager.

The only other way I though of was to change your help handling to use an On Key Label of F1 to
RUN /n WinHlp32.exe
But this would obvious complicate a lot of code.

Rick

Rick:
Now for something really WEIRD!! I have one fairly old FPW2.6 app which has a compiled/context sensitive Help file incorporated. This Help file was developed using Word (not sure which version probably 97) and compiled under Help author 4.03. IT WORKS PERFECTLY !! Even the context sensitivity. I've checked all the code and compared it with other apps where the Help does Not work and I cant see any obvious differences. I've moved the ESL file around etc etc. I'm Stumped!!
I'm too old and tired to even consider HTML help and besides the clients don't seem to be bothered, it just &quot;BUGS&quot; me. I'm sure you know how it is.
Regards

Richard Myers

Mr. Richards,

I have created my help file but don't know how to include context id's. Can you please let me know how to make the help context sensitive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back