Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Running exe's from a network share 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

dmalpas

IS-IT--Management
Dec 11, 2003
GB
Hi All

I have a w2k3 terminal server which is all set up and working properly which is great

BUT I have one application running from a network share and every time a user clicks the icon a dialogue is display saying are you sure you want to run this program as it may contain a virus

I under stand the need for this as a preventative measure but is there any way of turning it off I can turn it off for other files type but not for exe's even if you follow the m$ reg hacks

Any one got any ideas

Cheers

Dave

Dmalpas,

I had exactly the same when running peoplesoft executable from a terminal session.
What I did was :

Start session to terminal server
Via the users desktop open internet explorer properties
Go to tab security
Click on local intranet then the sites button
Add url of the server where the executable is started from in the "add this website to this zone" box , ie \\yourserver
You will then see "file://yourserver" in the websites window or whatever your server is called

And thats it... no more warning

Only had 30 users so i did it user for user.

should be able to do it via group policy but i couldnt find it.

good luck

Gary

Have just found the way to do this for all users. First do as GaZZaW suggests for admin user logged on to server, and then go to Group Policy | Local Computer Policy | Administrative Templates | Windows Components | Internet Explorer and set "Security Zones: Use only machine settings" to enabled. This seems to do the trick.

great stuff

Now what would be nice is if you could add a subnet mask e.g 10.0.0.0/8

then you could do the whole internal network in one go :)

Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back