Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Running driverquery 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

peterjennings

Technical User
Nov 17, 2004
GB
I have a new installation ("upgrade" of W2K) which occasionaly reboots without warning. Microsoft's error analysis calims it is due to a faulty driver. I've tried to run driverquery from the "run" box, but get an error message that says "This application has failed to start because framedyn.dll was not found. Re-installing the application may fix this problem". Any idea how I can do this without reinstalling XP? There appear to be at least 2 copies of framedyn.dll on the system one in C:\WINDOWS\system32\dllcache and the otherr in C:\WINDOWS\system32\wbem. So maybe I'm doing something else wrong.

Thanks bcastner and Frank$d,

I've read the MS document and done what they say. I presume the second half of the document is a test to prove that the dll is correctly installed. However drivequery still refuses to run. Does anyone know of a similar 3rd party shareware / feeware utility I could download?

Peter.

This error seems to happen when the Windows path on your machine has been corrupted. To temporarily address this issue copy the framedyn.dll file from the \windows\system32\wbem directory to the \windows\system32 directory.

Or navigate to control panel/system/advanced/environment variables and ensure that the following is at least there -
%SystemRoot%\system32;%SystemRoot%;%SystemRoot%\System32\Wbem

HOW TO: Verify Unsigned Device Drivers in Windows XP

To get further information about any error look in your Event viewer.

Look in the System or Application folder. You can get to the Event Viewer via right click My Computer icon and select Manage.

Any errors logged in the Event Viewer can be expanded by double clicking on the error line.

Take any event error I.D. number and search for it on these sites.

Also check any "Information" line that mentions "savedump" and you should find reference to "recovered from a bug check". This is the Stop Error that caused your problem.

You can also turn off "automatically restart after an error" so it will just halt at the fault and display the full Stop Error and blue screen.

Right-click My Computer, and then click Properties .
On the Advanced tab, click Settings under Startup and Recovery .
Click to clear the Automatically restart check box under System failure , and then click OK . The error message on a blue screen should remain on the screen so you can record the error information.

Thanks everybody, copying the dll to system32 alows drivequery to run. Strangely the environment variable "Path" contains all the paths linney quotes together with C:\PROGRA~1\dpp\.

Still it now works and I can get on with tracking down the rogue driver. Again thanks to linney for pointing me in the right direction with all the additional information.

Peter.

I think I've traced the problem. I downloaded Memtest-86 and ran it. I threw up a slew of memory errors in 2 of its tests, the others passed. I was running 3 x sticks of 512Mb Corsair PC3200 DDR RAM. By process of elimination, one stick shows the fault, the other 2 are OK. So now I'm down to only 1Gb of RAM, but hopefully a stable system.

I was drawn to looking for a hardware fault as the MS tools reported random reasons for the crashes (BSOD) I was seeing. This implied that there was no commonsoftware (driver) problem.

Regards,

Peter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back