Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Running DOS under Win2000 ; wiz kids please help

Status
Not open for further replies.

FoxEgg

Programmer
Mar 24, 2002
AU
DOS Win2000 wiz kids please help

I use the batch file (below) for a DOS based program (FoxPro Dos) to point the lpt1: port to the print server (george)
and to set the screen to full screen and to load and run the DOS program (which is on another machine mapped as x:)

The network is CAT5, switch a high speed NetGear, 100Mhz network cards and all machines ping each other at less than 1ms. Windows routines (also mapped; no batch file) are fast.
I have both TCP/IP and Netbeui active... (and a fixed IP address (which W2000 seems to like).

The PROBLEM IS:
loading the dos program is slow and printing to george is slow...

The QUESTION IS:

Is there something else I can try to do to speed this up ?

#cmd
rem @ echo off
cls
x:/
net use lpt1: \\george\george-p1 /PERSISTENT:YES
mode con: cols=80 lines=25
rem
x:\foxpro ortho.prg -t
net use lpt1: /delete
c:/
exit

Does your OS is in NTFS because if it does they can not read the DOS hope help

As far as I know, this speedlimit you speak of is because of the baud-rate of your lpt1, even though it is mapped to a network printer.
I'd consult the docs about the net command if you need to know the details.

-Jasper

What is your processor usage like when it is printing? We have foxpro on a windows 2000 terminal server, and when the developers are using it, NTVDM (NT Virtual Dos Machine) would peg the processor at 100%

Dan

Try this

add this line between the net use and the mode con:

ex:

Mode lpt1:96,n,8,1
96= baud rate (9600)
n= no parity
8= data
1= stop bit

add this (not exactly) to your batch file

should work after that!
let me know

Genius,

I'm just curious -- since he's not using a physical port but is instead mapping a logical LPT1 port, what is setting physical communication parms going to affect? Does net printing really pay attention to this?

FoxEgg (Programmer) May 25, 2002
Thanks all... I will attempt corrections and read the doc when in the office ...as advised....

Question japskar... mapping the lpt1: is it any different under W98 because there I would install a network printer and use capture port and it would go like a rocket.... (I think I had to had to add a sys.ini setting IFSMGR set printbufftime to 1 Which seemed to speeds the system.

John

I'll have to try the others in the office,,, Thankyou

OK so I tried the
Mode lpt1:96,n,8,1 command...

nope no better

So I added a

files=50
buffers=50

to the config.sys file

nope...

It still took 32 seconds to print from the FOXPRO

BUT (and I think this is a clue for those smarter than I... as soon as I exited the FOXPRO... the document printed IMMEDIATELY.... ie if I closed the app within 2 seconds of printing a page then it printed right then ....

IS THIS A CLUE ????

So is it a print spooler problem ? I changed the settings from print spooler to print immediately ... NO change

John

Additional clues (maybe)
I added
[IFSMGR]
printbuftime=1

to the system.ini NO Help

I went to the dos command .. went to x: issued a dir command... went like a rocket

Aha..... its actually the foxpro slowing things down.... the command
print anyfile.xyz is fast

but printing from inside foxpro is slow.....

So its off to foxpro dos for some solutions

THANKS ALL for your suggestions..

John Fox

Dos programs poll and are constantly using up unnessary CPU time and can affect printing and doing other things on your machine with dos windows open.
Try this link... I think you will like this software and watch your cpu processor before and after you install this software. It has worked for me very well.

Let me know if it helps with your problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back