Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Running Check

Status
Not open for further replies.

gijunior

Programmer
Feb 2, 2006
GB
Can anyone suggest a way i can see if my program is still running as it is computing?

I have a program that potentially could be running a loop a vbery large number of times. E.g. I am currently trying to Factor RSA 100. it is impractical for me to output at each iteration as this would be a lot of outputs(something with 100 digits).

Cheers

Mmm, that's a unix-like thing isn't it?

Does it have a 'ps' command?

--

my unix is poor, is that process status?

it may do. how would i check and how could i run it whilst executing?

Cheers

I've never used a Mac, but I'm guessing they have some kind of Task Manager like Windows does. If there's no GUI for it, you'll have to try the command line.

You can open up a command window and use the command "[tt]top[/tt]" to watch the top CPU processes. And it does have a "[tt]ps[/tt]" command.

Mac OS/X is Unix, but it's BSD based. That means if you're more familiar with a System/V derived Unix, the commands are all there, just the options and format of the output are different.

Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back