Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Running Cat5 Outdoors

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeffmoss26

Technical User
May 7, 2002
US
I want to run a cat5 cable from my family room, next to a coax jack, out a hole in the wall, bundled to some coax, and then into a hole going to my basement. Do I need special cat5 cable (it's not a problem, I have easy access to any datacom stuff i might need)
any other suggestions like conduit or burying the cable?

You need to get Outdoor rated cable. It comes with that Gooey stuff in it... Matt Wray
CCNA, MCP
mwray77518@yahoo.com

mattwray-
can you give me the name of any manufacturers? any prices?
(i can get it from my uncle who works at a distrubutor)

Try this, This is a company we use here in Houston. You might also try Graybar. I couldn't find a good link, is the homepage. I'm sure they would have it also. Here are somae manufacturers, CommScope, Mohawk/CDT, Nordx/CDT.
Matt Wray
CCNA, MCP
mwray77518@yahoo.com

I have done more research, talked to my uncle, talked to a few people at my dad's company. One guy (lead techician) said that I could use plenum cat5 but it would not last very long. The other guy (warehouse mgr.) said that the outdoor cable is pretty expensive. I would install plenum cat5 but the weather here is very unpredictable. I will see if I can find a way to run it indoors. Thanks for all the info. Jeff Moss
Warwick Communications, Inc
jeffmoss26@adelphia.net

warwickcomm1,

For what you would pay for "Icky-Pick" Cat 5, you could probably save a bundle by just installing some 3/4" 200 psi irrigation grade PVC conduit and run your cat 5 through it. Just make sure it's water tight and your safe. The PVC typically run's about $2.50 for 8' and the 90 degree fitting's are pocket change.

KG

I have a 200 ft run of CAT-5, CAT-3 cable run inside standard 3/4" PVC pipe. Pipe extends thru the wall in the house, gooped around the pipe where it enters the wall, all joints sealed with PVC cement, buried underground in a trench out to the shop, and thru the shop wall, also sealed with goop where it enters the building. This has been in place for over 2 years now with no problems. Running 100 mb ethernet cards on the PC's in the shop back to the hub in the house.

Chuck

Commscope makes a nice icy-pic (filled) cable, it is 5NF4 LAN cable, tested to 350Mhz, i think my cost was about 22 cents a foot. I use it outdoors when we need to sneak on the exterior of a building or if we have buried stuff. It is slightly larger (very slightly) than regular Cat5 and has a black UV resistant jacket. Should last outside longer than you care about.
It is only my opinion, based on my experience and education...I am always willing to learn, educate me!
Daron J. Wilson, RCDD
daron.wilson@lhmorris.com

I have thought about runing the cable in that flexible blue conduit. i could get the cable for free but my dad's company doesn't stock outdoor cat5. i was also thinking about wireless. Jeff Moss
jeffmoss26@adelphia.net

In my experience there is no such thing as a dry outdoor conduit, especially if it goes underground. If leaks don't let water in condensation will.

Using a filled, outdoor rated cable is not that expensive. If you want the wiring to last use the correct materials.

One thing to remember about any buried conduit: it will accumulate moisture regardless of how tightly you seal it. This is because air temperature differentials will inevitably cause condensation. It may be slight, and will vary depending upon your location and how deeply the conduit is buried, but it will happen. There is no cheap way to absolutely guarantee that no moisture will get to the conduit.

I like the suggestion of using PVC pipe conduit. I've done this for years and it works very well. Just make sure you construct the conduit very carefully, and get good seals on all the fittings. An extra layer of solvent cement on the exterior after the joints dry is always a good idea.

The icy-pic cabling is intended for exposed exterior use. Exposed use is not a good idea regardless of location, but is on rare occasions the most economical choice.

If you are wrapping around other cabling, be aware of the current it is carrying. Ethernet does not like stray voltages, especially those running in the same direction. If you can (and this is highly unlikely in a buried conduit) rotate the CAT5 in a direction opposite the pairs of any other twisted/stranded cabling.

I use solid Cat5e non-plenum 4-pair w/ standard jacket in PVC conduit, adhere to Ethernet specification distance parameters, use good quality switches (never hubs), and pay special attention to how well I terminate each end of such a cable run. I have never, ever had a problem.

Mark

The cabling dividion of our networking company likes Mowhawk cable. They make two types of Cat 5e 400Mhz Outside Plant cable. The Duct/Aerial is Mohawk part no. M57561. They also make a direct bury which is M57562. I'd skip the buried condiut thing, and go direct bury.

a few things
1. I don't want to (and can't) bury the cable
2. I would just be running the cable along the exterior wall
3. There is no way to run the cable indoors.
any other suggestions? Jeff Moss
jeffmoss26@adelphia.net

Geez man, you got about 7 suggestions covering almost every option, what else are you looking for? It is only my opinion, based on my experience and education...I am always willing to learn, educate me!
Daron J. Wilson, RCDD
daron.wilson@lhmorris.com

I agree with Daron here.

1. I don't want to (and can't) bury the cable
<Ok - don't bury the cable.>

2. I would just be running the cable along the exterior wall.
<Right- so use the exterior Cat 5e, see Mohawk part # above, it's cheaper than the direct bury stuff anyway, about the same as plenum.>

3. There is no way to run the cable indoors.
<That was pretty clear - see your own #2.>

any other suggestions?
<No - as Daron said, you've got several options. What else are you looking for?>

burying cat5 cable
I had tried to burry a cable from my house to my neighbors ... biiiig mistake ... took out 12 nics, 2 switches and 2 hubs any time lightening would strike in the neighborhood. I let it happen twice before I realized it was no accident.

SOLUTION: I went to graybar and bought some cat5-lan surge suppressors and they worked like a champ. I put one device on each side of the burried cable. My network has been welllllll tested (many storms since) and some very near strikes make them click loudly but they work like a champ. They cost around 81.00. They are 110 punch down connectors and they are polarized.

The cable should be a gel filled cat five line ... purchased by the foot from graybar. When you order it (if by 3pm) they will have it the very next morning.

I used regular cat 5 line on my network, have a yard with sandy soil and the ground does not tend to hold much water. If you have a regular yard with mud that will stay saturated with water I would recommend the gel filled line. The gel simply prevents water from reaching your lines. The gel filled line is also jacketed so you can ground it. If your using the cat5-lan suppressors its not necessary.

ITW Linx made the suppressors. They have a web site w/detailed information about the devices.

Hope this can help someone.

rats3@wolfedigital.com

There is one other option.... Just install indoor Cat5 cable..... and stock up on NIC's and hubs (You'll probably need them after a lightning strike). And plan to replace the cable every year or so when the sun and weather eat the jacket off the cable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back