Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Running additional Cable TV lines 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

wjl11

IS-IT--Management
Jun 20, 2002
US
Hello,
I am getting quotes on running new lines through my house using RG6.
A contractor has suggested running conduit along the downspout from the demarc to the attic so that the upstairs lines can be spilt from there.
Not too sure I want conduit on the outside of the house. Anyone else run into this approach?
Thanks,
Will

Re: "A good retrofitter should be able to wire a house without opening any holes in the sheetrock that would need patching."

I am an experienced retrofitter, and somtimes opening a small hole in the drywall above and below a fireblock is necessary. If it is an exterior wall, horizontal fireblocks are placed in each and every bay. Sometimes you can get lucky and hit it with a 4ft drill bit, if not you have to "trench" a slot to get around the wood. A "good retrofitter" knows how big (or small) to make the hole, and carries a jar of mud with him in his truck. The homeowner usually has the needed paint. There is also the possibility of using an interior wall that has no fireblocks.

As far as a jumper from wall plate to TV, I would agree that a digicon (conical) connector would look much nicer. However... considering the quantity of installations that we do as contractors, we of course have to cut costs. That being said... we have a nice crew that makes 3', 6', and 10' RG-6 jumpers with snap and seal fittings.

I too appreciate the "click" and feel to a snap and seal. When you're working as fast as you can, it makes life a lot easier.

Also, I'm not sure if digicon makes an RG-11 fitting (they may very well). I REALLY like the SnS RG-11 fittings. They're very easy to put on, and very consistant. Not to mention the tool is easy to work with while aloft. When you've gaffed 20' up a pole to hang an RG-11 drop... you don't want to be fumbling around.

But to get back on track.

Let us know how it goes. And what work had to be done. I'm always interested in hearing how retrofit jobs go.

Nick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back