Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Running a VB6 app in Visual Studo 2010 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

NeilFrank

Programmer
Mar 12, 2000
CA
How difficult is it to convert a VB6 app so that it will run in Visual Studio 2010? Are there automatic converters?

VB6 can be installed on Windows 7 64 bit OK without a virtual machine and will run normal VB6 controls perfectly with a few exceptions.
Richtextbox needs to be the latest version
Winsock may need to be the latest version
WIA doesnt seem to work and there may be others.
Any old third party 16 bit activeX controls don't work

I doubt if you will ever run sourcecode composed in VB6 on VBnet or VS2010 editors but if you need to modify the original vb6 code then do it with vb6 editor and recompile it in your Win7 machine.

The conversion facility built into vbNet works fairly well but you need to make many manual changes for certain code combinations, particularly indexing. Maybe you can then edit this converted code in VS2010 better?

I suspect some vb6 projects compiled in Win7 may not work properly when used back in old computers as they might need to overwrite old incompatible windows stuff - but not sure.

If you want to install VB6 on Windows 7, I would suggest reviewing my thread thread222-1590763.

If at first you don't succeed, then sky diving wasn't meant for you!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back