Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Running a VB6 app in Visual Studo 2010 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

NeilFrank

Programmer
Mar 12, 2000
CA
How difficult is it to convert a VB6 app so that it will run in Visual Studio 2010? Are there automatic converters?

Run in? Perhaps you mean compile in?

Visual Studio 6.0 ('98) was the last version to include actual Visual Basic. That was Visual Basic 6.0, the last of its line.

So even if VS2010 was not a 12 year later product (making it unlikely to support a 1998 programming language anyway), the language that it does support is based on a radical compatibility break with prior Microsoft Basic languages.

VS2010 only has VB.Net, which is only casually similar to Microsoft Basics like VB6 and its predecessors.

There have been attempts at conversion aids both by Microsoft and by 3rd party outfits. As far as I know they don't work well enough to be used for anything but very small programs.

Thanks!

Yes, compile.

I strongly suspected this was the case, but just wanted to check with the experts.

And another couple of rhetorical questions:

Why didn't Microsoft make Visual Studio 2010 (or its precursors) backwards compatible with VB6?

Is it possible to run VB6 apps on a Windows 7 machine, in other than the superclunky XP emulator?

>Why didn't Microsoft make Visual Studio 2010 (or its precursors) backwards compatible with VB6?

Because they decided it was time to retire VB6 and move on to the brave new world of .NET and managed code, which VB6 doesn't do.

They did have a convertor tool with initial post-VB6 releases of Visual Studio. However, for anything more than very, very simple programs, it mostly produced empty funtions and procedures that contained REM statements saying "I'm afraid you'll need to write VB.NET code to go here ...

Thanks strongm.

This must have massively inconvenienced VB6 developers and end users!

"Is it possible to run VB6 apps on a Windows 7 machine, in other than the superclunky XP emulator?"

Yes, no problem.

Have fun.

---- Andy

>the superclunky XP emulator?"

Have to say I find virtual XP mode (which is not an emulator; it is genuine XP) far from clunky.

Andy

How? Could it be as simple as installing VB6 on my Windows 7 machine?

Thanks!

Either VB 6 or application(s) written in VB 6 - you should just install it and run it.

Have fun.

---- Andy

Then I would suggest to re-write your app in VB.NET before Micro$oft decides to dump VB 6 completely and not support it at all. Although very nice and easy to do/learn/write code in, VB 6.0 is last Century technology. Join XXI century and move over to .NET world.

Just MHO :)

Have fun.

---- Andy

Great idea, Andy, but we're talking 55,000 lines of code.

If the app attracts commercial backing, the problem of code language will be addressed.

Right now, I am checking out whether I can as you suggest, install VB6 on a W7 machine. In spite of 2 "known compatibility issues" warnings, it [MS VB6 Professional Edition, purchased in ~ 1998] installed without apparent problems. I am able to load my app and there are surprisingly few issues, which I am now addressing. Until I fix these, it won't run. I'll let you know how it works out.

I appreciate your feedback@

If you don't care for VB6 I suggest you simply stop trolling in the VB6 forums. Frankly I'm in a mood to red flag any such nonsense as inappropriate and unprofessional conduct.

BTW, VB6 programs are supported at least through the life of Windows 8, and I wouldn't be surprised to see the trend continue for another Windows release.

Leaving VB6 for VB.Net is hardly a given. There are plenty of alternatives just as viable and a good case could be made for going to a multiplatform alternative.

> install VB6 on a W7 machine

The point is that you shouldn't need to install VB6 to run your app. Unless what you meant by "Is it possible to run VB6 apps on a Windows 7" was actually "how do I run the IDE to interpret my source code" on Windows 7. Which is why I asked the question.

I don't question your depth of knowledge, strongm, but it would seem to me not possible to run a .vbp file on a machine that doesn't have VB6 installed. Much like one couldn't open a word document (.doc) without having MS Office installed.

I can't say that I tried running my .vbp before I installed VB6, but now that I have installed it, I won't be able to try!

Unless I am misunderstanding.

For most of us, a "VB6 App" means an executable that was compiled with Visual Basic 6 code. You don't load "apps" into Visual Basic, you load "projects" (.vbp means "Visual Basic Project"). Hence the confusion.

I use VB6 on windows 7 and I found it runs best under Windows XP SP3 compatibility mode.
- Browse to your vb6.exe in C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio\VB98\VB6.EXE
- right click it => Properties
- "Compatibility" tab
- check "run program in compatibility mode" => Windows XP SP3
- deactivate visual designs
- deactivate desktop design(?? or whatever the English equivalent for this is)
- deactivate scaling for high dpi values

These are not absolutely necessary but you'll find that without these settings, your IDE will crawl like a snail. With these settings, performance is just fine.

Cheers,
MakeItSo

“Knowledge is power. Information is liberating. Education is the premise of progress, in every society, in every family.” (Kofi Annan)
Oppose SOPA, PIPA, ACTA; measures to curb freedom of information under whatever name whatsoever.

>it would seem to me not possible to run a .vbp file on a machine that doesn't have VB6 installed

Well quite. But that would definitley fall in the "how do I run the IDE to interpret my source code on Windows 7" camp rather than your original "Is it possible to run VB6 apps on a Windows 7"

I appreciate the distinction JoeAtWork and strongm are making and my vocabulary has been tuned up accordingly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back