Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Running a script on backup completion

Status
Not open for further replies.

pluscarden

Programmer
Jan 26, 2004
GB
Is it possible to make Arcserve run a user-defined script once a backup has completed and somehow pass the contents of the backup report to it (via STDIN perhaps)? The idea being that my script could then parse the backup report for success/failure and use this info to generate alerts via something like Nagios. I know Legato Networker allows this kind of thing (which I know more about!!) but am not too sure about Arcserve.

If all you want are alerts then why not use the Alert Manager?

Well, we are in the process of developing all our monitoring activity around Nagios. The Arcserve backups are just one of many things we would like to monitor in this way.

I suppose I may be able get Arcserve to send SNMP traps to our Nagios server and do it that way.

But was just wondering if Arcserve already has some kind of configurable event handler (like Legato NW) that, for instance, allows you to run scripts on backup completion. That would be preferable.

If you're using an all windows platform - pre and post jobs will probably be what you're looking for - if not the alert manager.

HI,

Yes. ARCserve can run user defined scripts.
You can use the "post" operation on the backup options.
However, this has its limitations.

If you intend to make ARCserve send SNMP alerts, you can use the Alerts manager and configure the SNMP module accordingly, but, the job reports would not get attached..

CheerS
Speshalyst

So it Shall be Written!
So it Shall be Done!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back