Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

running a script from group policy

Status
Not open for further replies.

vaughn9

Technical User
Sep 23, 2001
I have written a dos script which when executed will run a patch for windows 2000. I want to apply this script so that when then user logs on the script runs.

Thinking this through
I will edit my domain controller using the implementing scripts example shown at and copy my script to to the logon instead of start up since I want the script to run after the user logs on.
Not too sure if I should use the startup folder though.

Also when I use the line
echo"please wait while you system is being cleaned" I am getting an error message in windows 2000 "is not recogniaed as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file"

I am not getting that message when I try the batch file in a windows me enviroment.

here is the batch file

@echo off
echo"please wait while you system is being cleaned"
pause
c:\windows2000-kb824146-x86-ENU.exe
exit

Any one has any ideas about the error message I am getting in the windows 2000 enviroment and are the steps I outlined above accurate for to have the script run when users inthe domain log on.

first question: your server installed as an active Directory, if yes you better off using OU to implement the batch file.

in regards to your error, i think you need to leave a space after the word echo. should look like this

@echo off
echo "please wait while you system is being cleaned"
pause
c:\windows2000-kb824146-x86-ENU.exe
exit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back