Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Running a dos program remotely

Status
Not open for further replies.

whitebomber

Technical User
Jan 7, 2002
US
Ok I'm new to the Perl world and have tried to figure this out on my own, and via surfing surfing the web. However now I'm hitting a deadline and need some help!

I'm running Windows 2000, and interogating NT4 and Win2000 boxes. I have written a perl program that goes out to remote machines, queries some registry keys and prints out a nice excel spread sheet for me. So far so good.

However what I also need to do is run a small dos program, which will query the bios and collect some additional data. The problem is I can't get the program to run on the remote machine. I've tried copying the program to the remote mchine, run it, but it still runs local.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
ER

I should have stated that this program runs at the command line... Thanks.

WB,

You're going to have to install your batch file as a service, and use NET START to kick off the service.

You can use SRVANY, to run 'any' program on an NT box as a service.

You'll probably need some kind of a semaphore to indicate the program has completed before you harvest your results.

For obvoius reasons, even for M$, you shouldn't be allowed to run arbitrary code on remote machines.

HTH
--Paul

Paul,
Thanks for the info. I'll start looking into your suggestion and see if I can make that work for me.

Not famaliar with all that you mention but that's the best part, now I have a path and can dig for the solution.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back