Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Running A Database App without installing MS Office

Status
Not open for further replies.

webstaff

Technical User
Jan 2, 2003
GB
Hi Guys,

Ive written my first database application, and am delighted with it, Its just for fun and friends but id like to improve it more yet if i can.

At the moment it will only work on a windows PC if MS Office is installed.

I realy would appreciate it if someone could point me to what to look for that could be making the dependancy of this, My application does use an access 2000 database.

There is no reason that Office needs to be installed. I write data Apps all the time for machines without Office.

What happenes on a machine without Office?

As long as you do not reference the Office libraries (MS ACCESS Object Library, etc) in your application then the OFFICE app does not need to be on the client.
I guess you mean an JET/ACCESS Mdb (database).
The tables and data can be accessed using ADODB or DAO.
The ACCESS reports can be displayed using the Snapshot Viewer from MS.

Hi guys thanks for the replys,

On the development machine I have no problems, But on any other PC without Office my DBGrids are erroring out with the message:
Cannot bind to data source or field.
Everything else works fine except these 4 grids.
Im using VB6 (sp5) and an Access 2000 mdb.

My installer has as far as im aware has all the correct dependancys.

MDAC_typ (Now the newest version)
DCOM 95/98
Jet40SP7_9xNT
stdole2.tlb
msado27.tlb
msvbvm60.dll
oleaut32.dll
olepro32.dll
asycfilt.dll
comcat.dll
COMDLG32.OCX
dao360.dll
DBLIST32.OCX
MSBIND.DLL
MSCOMCTL.OCX
MSDATGRD.OCX
MSHFLXGD.OCX
vbrun60sp5.exe
VBE6EXT.OLB
VB5DB.DLL
dao360.dll

The other error messages are
Cannot Initilize Data Bindings

Your problem is that you do not have the correct dll's and files installed to run the application on a stand-alone. I suggest you read the sections in the VB6 books on creating installations and put the necessary dll's, etc., in a .cab file and have them installed with the application.

This does work we use it in our programs.

Have a nice day.

Hi,

there is something as "runtime version" od ms access which allows you to use access database without ms access installation (nd without extra license ?)
i worked with a program using such version of ms access 97 but not sure about details; try to check miscrosoft website...

Thanks Guys,

It appears that I had a lot of missing dependancys.
I used the P&DW that comes with VB6 to make up my list of dependancys for me.
I went through all the steps in the process of making my set up in P&DW to get this info, but built the Installer with INNO 4.

Anyway I noticed the P&DW created a support folder with the Cab files and it was full of the files needed for my app to run along with a load of dll files that were not in the dependancy list???

So out of desperation to get over this problem I added the other files to mt set up and it works fine.
I have looked for a book that covers this topic of creating setups with P&DW but have found none so far, can someone reccomend a book that covers all the details of this?
Thanks again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back