Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Running 3 NIC's on one server? Is this a problem...

Status
Not open for further replies.

BarryMVS

IS-IT--Management
Apr 17, 2003
GB
Hi all,

I'm running a Win2K server at home.

I have three NICs in it.

NIC 1) Is set to DHCP and connected to my broadband service.
This card also has Internet Sharing Enabled.

NIC 2) Is the out going NIC for the Internet Sharing and, by default, has an IP address of 192.168.0.1 as provided by the sharing software.

By running the Internet Sharing Service, I found I could no longer access the server for file sharing. For this reason I fitted my 3rd NIC, but the card won't make a connection to my hub.

I know the card works, and the ports on the hub are fine, but I can not get a connection link. I have tried three cables, all of which, I have tested to check they are OK.

Is there an issue with running a third NIC on Win2K?

Any advice most welcome.

Thanks,

Barry

ICT Network Administrator
IT Services Manager

you can run as much nics as you will but provide them with diffrent ip adresses

Thats what I thought.

Thanks for comfirming.

Barry

IT Services Manager

If RRAS is set to do routing on your server, and you're plugging the NICs into the same hub/switch, you're creating a looping condition. Either RRAS or your hub/switch is then disabling the NIC or the port on the hub/switch to prevent the looping condition.

I'm not following your network layout - I would think it would be:

Internet->NIC-1
|
Server
|
NIC-2->Hub/Switch->Rest of Network

ICS is DHCP. Do you mean you're using ICS to provide dhcp or do you have both setup?

Glen A. Johnson
"Fall seven times, stand up eight."
Proverb

Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at FAQ219-2884

The network is as follows:

Server
|
Internet -> NIC1 (DHCP From supplier -
ICS sharing this connection to network)
|
Hub -> NIC2 (ICS IP supplied - 192.168.0.1)
|
Hub -> NIC3 (Unable to connect to hub?!?)

The internet connection comes direct from the supplier. There is no router or hub before NIC1.

(I'm begining to think it might be a faulty PCI slot. Will try some tests and let you know if this is the case.)

Hope this helps.

Barry

IT Services Manager

I have 4 nic's in one server. More than likely your problem is with the pci slot selection. It took me a few tries to get it right.

Hi all,

Well I got the NIC working!

I'm not sure if it was the card, the PCI slot or just bad seating, but it's up and running!

New problem....

Once the 3rd NIC was running with it's own IP Address, the server reported a machine on the network with the same name, ie, itself, as NICs 2 & 3 are both plugged into the hub.

I turned 'Client for Microsft Networks' off on NIC 2 as it is the LAN NIC for the ICS and this resolved that problem and the ICS still worked.

But after restarting both server and client, I still can't get the client to see the workgroup and file share which is my reason for fitting NIC 3.

This problem accured as soon as I started ICS.

Does this mean I need a second NIC in the client as well?

Does anyone know any good freeware Proxies that might be better than running ICS?

Your help is most welcomed.

Cheers,

Barry

IT Services Manager

You shouldn't need a third NIC in the server in order for the clients to get file access on the server. There's something broken in the ICS setup that's preventing this. I haven't ever mucked with ICS, so I can't tell you what, but the problem is not the third NIC, its ICS and its bindings/rules with the second NIC.

Having NIC2 and NIC3 each connected to the same network segment (hub) will cause problems on your network unless by chance they and the switch support port trunking, which I would doubt in your case.

Hi all,

I've cracked it, though much to my concern.

The only way I can get the two machines to allow file & printer sharing over a local network is by NOT running any professional Firewalls. Occording to Microsoft, these block the the ports used by file and printer sharing.

Which means I am now able to use ICS and local data transfer with only 2 NICs in my server. Un fortunattly, since removing the firewall, my server has been hit by a virus and I'm now trying to remove it.

Thanks Microsoft!!

I guess the only answer to this is to by a DSL router with a built in NAT / Firewall and then I can stop using the ICS service. (Yipee!)

Thanks to everyone for their help and ideas.

Cheers,

Barry

IT Services Manager

hi,

am new to setting-up a win2k server for a school LAN which is connected to another domain. we're using static IPs and one was assigned to me.

The server is UP already but could not see its network neighborhood running win98. i tried pinging their assigned IPs and its working. Do i have to setup its Active Directory Service for that?

anyone could help/advice me what to do?
thanks in advance...

sucing
Tech/admin

Actually, yes and no. If you want connection sharing and file sharing, and firewall functions, you want to use Microsoft's Proxy or ISA server.

This gives you firewall and still allows file sharing on the corporate (not DSL) nic card.

A point that was not made above: You can have as many NIC cards as you want (based on physical ability) in a machine, but each card should be on a different network segment, and only one default gateway per machine.

Also, only 1 nic should have WINS addresses (it will warn you it's blank on eactra NICs in NT but that's OK). In 2K and 2k3, other nic should be set not to register in DNS.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back