Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Running 2 Exchange Server 5.5 on same Domain

Status
Not open for further replies.

lingovl

MIS
Mar 24, 2003
US
I am new to exchange server and would like to learn more.
I currently have an NT 4.0 exchange server 5.5 on very old hardware that is currently using a dialup connection, it currently is a back up domain contorller. I would like to setup a new exchange server using a dsl connection thru a firewall but would like to try install and learn as I go. Since I am a one person department I would like to setup the new email server as a stand alone server and leave the old one running until I get to the point where I can switch it over and know everything is working. I am not opposed to recreating users mail boxes and exporting and importing data over. Is it possible to have both systems running at the same time. We have multiple internet domains and could easily test domains other then the ones currently be used.
Is this possible to do?
Can both Exchange Servers exist separate from each other?
Will there be any problems with resetting the clients(Outlook) to look at the new server?
Any ideas on this would help?

Yes, it's possible.
You'll have to reset your Outlook clients manually when the time comes however, since the servers won't be in the same ORG.

Hi. I pretty much went through what you're about to do, but from a Linux server to an Exchange server instead. You should find it much easier adding an exchange server to an existing system. Are you setting up a separate/new organization or site, or joining your new server to the existing one?

I guess my impression from the current posts are that I would have to setup a new site or organization. I would like to have no interaction between the two servers so if I mess something up I do not affect the old exchange server running.

Is it a requirement to configure the email server as a backup domain controller or is that just so it has access to the domains user database?

It definitely has to be part of a domain for security access, but it doesn't have to be on a domain controller. If you want no replication or links between these servers, then yes you'll have to setup at least a new site or a new organisation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back