Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

RunMapCache settting in the Launcher

Status
Not open for further replies.

mlapse

IS-IT--Management
Jun 30, 2005
US
Hi,

Can anybody tell what the performance impact is if this value is set to the lowest i.e. 10 or if disabled (-1).

Was looking to get some numbers or at least whether the event sevrer would be significantly slower.

We have about 500 maps out of which about 200 would be run maps. I would like to turn it off so I dont have to recycle the server each time I deploy a new run map.
Thanks in advance

Not sure what the performance impact is. But my bet is it has more uses than the one listed below.

I believe the setting is tied to caching the runmaps to memory at the time the system is started..... ie it will not pick up runmap changes until you system is recomplied and restarted.

Yes. Thats what it is. But i want to be able to change the maps on the fly when the customer demands it. So if I set it to -1 it will always read the latest map from the disk.

But i dont know whether this will slow the system down i.e. continuous reading from disk

I guess it would depend on how often you executed your maps - if you ran the same run map several times a second it would be a bad move to turn off caching.

If instead your run maps are only executed every few minutes then the impact should not be noticeable.

it should take less than a second to read the run map file, load it into memory and then clear it from memory again - so maybe use a value of 0.2s (added on to each transformation) in your calculations?

this value would depend on the speed of your disks, size of maps etc. let me know if you get a more accurate figure - all of our transfomation maps are run maps (approx 500) and we cache 300, we have a weekly deployment schedule that includes a restart of the even servers.

Changing RUN maps in a production system is very dangerous.

It also depends on how many run maps are called from the main map and the size of the map.

If you are on UNIX / LINUX, I would install another Event Server for this one customer, so that other's won't be impacted. If you have a large enough server (RAM wise) you might consider a separate launcher for every customer.

Then you could tune depending on specific clustomer requirements, and if there was a problem with one customer's data, it wouldn't impact the others.

BocaBurger
<===========================||////////////////|0
The pen is mightier than the sword, but the sword hurts more!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back