Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

rundll32.exe 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

smash81

Programmer
Mar 12, 2001
KE
Hello,
Recently, i had a worm on my computer.I managed to remove it but after having removed it i came to realize that i could not do certain things on the comp as there was a message that said that the rundll32.exe file or one of its components was missing.Could anyone tell me how i could overcome this problem.I tried running windows setup but that did not solve my problem.Any help please?

Cheers

to 14 year old kid - your symptoms sound like the side effect of sircam. you need to run regedit and change the
registry settings at the following location:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shell\open\command

double click on default and change the entry to

"%1" %*

note, win 98 should put apostrophes around this as well. It is important to make sure there are no leading spaces before this value otherwise you will not be able to run executables. This could be your problem.

As for rundll32.exe, if you have more than one sircam infection, sircam will have replaced the run32.exe (the renamed original rundll32.exe) with a corrupted version of rundll32.exe. This is why you need to get a replacement from a clean machine.

i have renamed run32.exe to rundll32.exe restart the system and went out ok. but the problem keeps on coming back, rundll32.exe becomes run32.exe again. i've scanned the system many times and no viruses found. what should i do?

I have had the problem where Norton AntiVirus deleted my RUNDLL32.EXE file and the RUN32.EXE was no where to be found. I could not run programs except by opening documents associated with those programs. So here's my solution...

For anyone with Windows ME you can run system restore to go back to before you had the virus, or at least before things got so bad. Here's what I had to do:

1. Create a blank file with a text editing program and name it restore.srx

2. Open the properties for this file and click on "change..." This allows you to associate the file with a program. Select "Other..." on the next dialog and go into WINDOWS\SYSTEM\RESTORE\ and then select the file named RSTRUI.EXE. OK that and OK the properties dialog to close it.

You should now be able to click on restore.srx to open the System Restore program and restore your system to an earlier, better time.

If this doesn't work, may God have mercy on your soul.

:)

Fred

sounds like the version of rundll32 is the infected one created by sircam, you need to remove it completely and stick a clean version on there. Just renaming it will make no difference, it will keep on perpetuating.

I would go back to your registry and do a seach for anything related to sircam and delete it.

You could download a free trial version of an anti virus, if you don't want to buy one, and just use it to rid yourself of the worm.

Go to the norton website and follow the instructions for removal, and find a clean machine and copy that rundll32.exe to your own machine (only if you have completely removed the worm.

Can anyone help me??

I am gettin the following message everytime I start up and it's pissing me off big time.

Rundll32 has caused an error in newdotnet3_21.dll if you keep experiencing this problem try restarting.

It started happening after i installed a new version of internet explorer

Hello

I too have this virus. I have run fixsirc.com but my control panel is still not running. I have renamed the run32 to rundll32.exe and this part is no longer the problem. Whenever I try too access the control panel it says cannot find shell32. Un fortuntely I do not have the Win 98 CD with me so using the sfc is not an option:

Is anyone able to help.

my problem is the sircam worm virus.i downloaded the removal tool from the sarc.but after a few days i found out that the rundll 32.exe file is miising.but now the real problem is that it appers time and again.i have windows me .i can't run again the removal tool b'coz to disable system restore i have to open the properties which needs rundll file.plz help

sircam renames rundll32.exe to run32.exe. you need to rename it back again.
but first you need to check your registry to see if the fix has removed the damage sircam has done there (you will find a breakdown of these at any web based anti virus page e.g. norton, symantec etc). otherwise the problem will just keep on recurring.

see earlier posts for more info.

hello

recently i have "aquired" the i love you virus, and in the process of using norton antivirus on my computer, i accidentally deleted the file Sirc32.exe. now the lovely machine says i need it to run...anything and everything. i am helpless, can someone please help me out?

sleepless in seattle

DrGonzo
Appears you also have the Sircam virus, Sirc32.exe is a virus file and is definitely not a necessary Windows file. Look at earlier posts in this thread for Sircam cleaning instructions.

Hi i think i have this virus and i have run norton anti virus 2001. It says that it has cleaned the infected files but each time i restart the computer and run the virus search the virus comes up again. It calls it bloodhound so i guess it dosent recognise it and when i clean it says it was successful. My executables dont seem to be infected but the computer does seem to run a little slower now.

I would be grateful for any advise.

sorry i meant to say that my executables dont seem to be effected by the virus. Can anyone help?

I too have a virus but it's the w95/kuang.gr virus and it's caused Rundll32.exe, explorer.exe and Rnaapp.exe to be missing it's components. I tried quarantine the virus but I keep receiving a problem everytime I reboot. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

I suggest all of you just go to a page such as

and follow the instructions supplied with the virus definitions. You won't get the definitive answer on these pages.

every app on my desktop has stopped working error message "windows cannot find rundll32.exe"{os is xp pro}i've done a search on my start up and the file is there but windows can't find it also control panel most app not working please help

thx smitee yeah ur right i've got a virus(trojan bleblab). infected files have been deleted but the rundll32.exe still comes up if i click on a desktop or control panel app wot else can i do !!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back