Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Run VNC viewer to a WIn2K client

Status
Not open for further replies.

loschiavoj

Programmer
Dec 28, 2000
US
When trying to connect to a Win2k client through VNC the following message is displayed, 'Connection Closed'. On a similar client running Win95 the connection is accepted. Both systems are identical except for the operating system. And VNC was set up identically on both systems. Does anyone no of a setting in Win2K that I may have over looked?

Thanks,

I have ran VNC on all Windows products without any problems.

Just make sure that you have installed the VNC Service and is started in the Services.

To install the WinVNC Service goto Start/Programs/VNC/Administrative Tools and click on Install WinVNC Service. After doing this you will either need to restart the computer or goto Services to start VNC.

Services in Win2000 is located in Control Panel/Administrative Tools/Services.

I hope this helps.

The client can VNC out but when trying to VNC to the client the message recieved is "Connection is Closed"?

I'm having the same issues on a w2k box. I'm currently running VNC across a variety of flavors of Windows and this is the only box so far that I've had this prob.

The history on the box. It was a windows 95, upgraded to 98, upgraded to 2K. VNC was loaded after the 98 upgrade.

Because the box is @ a remote location I don't have the ver. of VNC.

I connected to It once. Loaded a service Pack and rebooted and now I get the error.

For what it's worth I run VNC on all flavors of Win from 95 to W2k servers. The only time i ever got this error was on an NT server that was locked not logged off.....

Dan

Hey even I got a "connection closed" on a locked (not logged out) win2k box when I tried to connect to it. This was after I entered the password. But only once, I dont know how that disappeared.
happy.gif

I just had this same problem. I had set up two machines with win2000. One I could access through WinVNC the other I couldn't. After entering a valid password I recieved a "Connection Closed" message. The problem is with the video drivers or the video card itself. I was able to resolve the issue by installing the latest video drivers on the server (from Compaq, since it was a Compaq machine). Hopes this helps.
Daniel.c.johnson@accenture.com

I too have had the same "connection closed" problem before. I received this message when trying to connect to a VNC host running the standard VGA driver on a W2K server; once I updated to the correct driver, which BTW was set at 256color, I connected just fine.

-Turdferg

yes, turdferg is correct, i talked to microsoft and the reason that it will give you a connection closed is because the drivers that run the display adapter have to work with VNC and it happens the default VGA driver that is standard with windows 2000 is not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back