Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

run vb app from cd 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

clientuser

Programmer
Apr 18, 2001
US
i have a vb app that i would like for users to run just from a cd.

what are the pros/cons of doing that? also, will they have the problems running the app if the DLLs etc for runtime arent on their systems?

also, how do you setup the app to automatically run when the cd is put in? i dont want it to install to the users machine, just start up and run.

In order to get the program to run make when you burn the program to a cd - also put a file named

AUTORUN.INF

on the cd in the file put this:
[AutoRun]
open=programname.exe
icon=programname.exe,0

in the place of programname put your programs name the icon line will set the My Computer Icon to the icon of your program

The best thing to due for the required file you need to run your program just put them on the cd with your program - put them in the same dir as your program - although this will not work for OCX because they need to be registered to you could have a sub program that runs when the cd is put in - then that program checks the system for the ocx files if they are not there then the program can copy the files to the systemdir and register them you register an ocx like this

regsvr32.exe nameofocx.ocx

you can get the systemdir by using the api function

Declare Function GetSystemDirectory Lib "kernel32" Alias "GetSystemDirectoryA" (ByVal lpBuffer As String, ByVal nSize As Long) As Long

%, 2004

if i am using a custom font, do i have to include that in the app as a resource?

you would probly want the sub program to copy the font to C:\windows\fonts folder
you will need to include it. Although it would be best to just use a generic font like Arial

%, 2004

well its for a wedding program, so i have to use a special font..

i will give it a try and see what happens...

In the first place you need to make sure that you have the rights to redistribute the font. Most commercial (and even some free)fonts have legal restrictions on this.

yes i understand strong. the font owner has given me written permission to use it.

i have been dotting my I's and crossing my T's on this one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back