Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

RUN TIME???

Status
Not open for further replies.

RookieDBO

Technical User
Sep 20, 2001
CA
I just recently changed company but with similar job description. However, my new company does not use ACCESS but instead uses APPROACH. Which by the way "SUCKS". I've heard some good news but don't really understand it. There's talk about using ACCESS "RUNTIME". Is this possible? What does it mean? How does it work? Is ACCESS capable of multi user? For example, if an ACCESS database is placed in a public network drive, can it be opened by mulitiple users at the same time?

Thanks,
RookieDBO

The Access Runtime library is essentially a copy of Access with much of the user interface disabled. It's meant for running database applications on machines that don't have a licensed copy of Access. If you have a Developer Edition of Access (licensed), you can distribute your application along with the runtime library, and users can then run your application (but they can't any changes to it, or create their own databases, using the runtime library). The runtime library is royalty free, provided you use a licensed copy of Access to distribute it.

Access is multi-user. If you have an Access database on a network share, it can be used simultaneously by many users. There are some settings that have to be made by the database developer to prevent locking conflicts, and depending on the locking choices you make there may be some additional code to handle conflicts that occur. It's really not difficult to support multi-user, though. Rick Sprague

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back