Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Run-time Error '429' ActiveX component can't create object.

Status
Not open for further replies.

musher

MIS
Jul 13, 1998
US
Hey everyone. (Visual Basic 6 Question here)<br>
<br>
I compiled a program that reads directories from an .ini file and deletes files out of those directories that are over thirty days old. I compiled on NT4.0 w/s and it runs on my box and others, but the one where I REALLY need to run it on gets the error in the above section line. I have verified that I have all the required run-time dll's on the target machine and I am not using any out of the ordinary objects in the code. I can't figure it out for the life of me. All the machines are at SP3<br>
<br>
Here is the only object that I use and I think this is where I get the run-time error:<br>
<br>
Sub ShowFolderList(folderspec)<br>
Dim fs2, f, f1, fc, s<br>
Set fs2 = CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")<br>
Set f = fs2.GetFolder(FolderSpec) 'lets say replaced with c:\test<br>
Set fc = f.Files<br>
For Each f1 in fc<br>
'LOGIC TO DELETE FILES<br>
Next<br>
End Sub<br>
<br>
Ohh. Another thing worth mentioning is that all machines are running NTFS partitions but everyone has Full Control to the drive so I don't think it is a permissions issue.<br>
<br>
Thanks In Advance,<br>
Michael Sauer, MCSE<br>
msauer@ismi.net

This might sound lame, but try reinstalling SP3 after you have run your app install. Also, I have got the same obscure error because VB6 has a known bug with it's MDAC version distribution. I know that your problem isn't with data access components, but the version thing can cause grief. Check the knowledge base (sorry, I don't recall the # ) for details on that bug. I believe SP2 for VB6 fixes it.

I had a similar problem when I used an MSOffice control by accident in one of my programs - and it was running fine on any machine which had office - got the activex error on those which didn't - you might want to check your controls...

Check the versions and file lengths of the DLL's - also the registry entries for that object.<br>
<br>
Mike<br>

I was struggling with this one for ages - I think that the problem lies with your file handling. You're using the new-style FileSystemObject for file manipulation. To use this you must include the Microsoft Scripting Runtime (scrrun.dll) as a reference, otherwise it won't be distributed with your app when you come to use it on another machine.<br>
<br>
This won't fix all Error 429's, as it seems to be a bit of a catch-all error for all kinds of problems in all kinds of apps, but in this case it should work.<br>
<br>
Good luck,<br>
<br>
Chiz

I was struggling with this one for ages - I think that the problem lies with your file handling. You're using the new-style FileSystemObject for file manipulation. To use this you must include the Microsoft Scripting Runtime (scrrun.dll) as a reference, otherwise it won't be distributed with your app when you come to use it on another machine.<br>
<br>
This won't fix all Error 429's, as it seems to be a bit of a catch-all error for all kinds of problems in all kinds of apps, but in this case it should work.<br>
<br>
Good luck,<br>
<br>
Chiz

There's a program called vbc.exe (from which fixes known problems with sp3 and below that relate to ocx registration.<br>
<br>
Might be worth a look.<br>
<br>
Mike<br>

Does somebody hear an echo in here? (did our browser lock up on ya chiz? ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back