Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Run-Time Error 3161 - recordset field - help

Status
Not open for further replies.

ferrisbb

Technical User
Nov 15, 2002
US
Q: How do you change the default size for a recordset text field? When the recordset is created, the fields are set 50 characters long. I can see the setting in the Locals Window but nothing I do seems to change it. If, for instance, OldValue is greater than 50 characters long, I get a “Run-Time error 3161, The field is too small to accept the amount of data you attempted to add. Try inserting or pasting less data.” I tried to change Tools, Options, Tables/Queries, Default Field sizes to a larger number but that doesn’t change the property as seen in the locals window. Thanks

Sub UpdateTempRST(txtA, txtFieldName, OldValue, NewValue)
Dim db As Database
Dim rs As Recordset
Set db = OpenDatabase("MyTable")
Set rs = db.OpenRecordset("MyTempTable")

rs.AddNew
rs!FieldA = txtA
rs!FieldName = txtFieldName

rs!Old = OldValue
rs!New = NewValue
rs.Update
rs.Close
db.Close
End Sub

You have to change the underlying schema of the table. The method will depend on the database used - access, sql server etc.

When I get this error - the data is to large for the field in the database. You don't need to change anything about the recordset, you need to adjust the column size in the db.

If you open a recordset by opening a table, the field-types and sizes are defined by the table, and you cannot chance them in the recordset: if only because it would be impossible to update the table afterwards.
You might change the table before opening, but that is a far-fetched scenario. You'd better first design your table in a way it can store the data you want to store, then in your app check (and perhaps trim) your values before assigning them to a field.

Thanks for the replies. I have tried setting the field size to 255 characters and also to a memo field. Neither of which has any effect on changing the size of the recordset field.

I got it. Turns out I am an idiot also.
Thanks for the help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back