Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

run SFC on different partition

Status
Not open for further replies.

rwbrick

Technical User
Mar 14, 2002
US
I'm getting deep in the mud here, I know, but appreciate your all's help and indulgence.

I want to run System File Check on my Windows 2000 computer against a byte for byte copy (from Linux's dd command) of an XP boot partition from another computer. I know I won't be able to repair any bad system files without a XP install CD (unless by chance a good replacement can be found in DLLCACHE or I386) but I'm hoping I can get a list of bad files.

My question is this: Assuming I have to run the SFC located in the XP partition copy, can the command do this? as in instead of cmd sfc, cmd G:\Windows\System32\SFC.exe. Then can I direct SFC to check the system files in my G: partition, not my W2K boot partition? My understanding is SFC can be directed (after the options in the SFC syntax) to a single file, but can it be directed to a folder or partition? Would the comand line read: G:\Windows\System32\SFC.exe <options> G:\*.*?

Or is this goofy beyond reason?

Rod B.

I answered my own question: Only the sfc.exe in the boot partition will run and only against the system files in the boot partition.

Rod B.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back