Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Run-once login script?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marmfield

MIS
Apr 10, 2002
US
I'm trying to figure out a way to install a software update via login script but only have it run once on each pc. I don't have RIS running yet (brand new Windows server 2003 migration from Novell 5.1) and this is a critical software update that needs to take place without me touching 90+ desktops.

Anyone know of a way to do this? I'm using logon.bat files right now, but I have converted the bat to vbscripts but not implemented them yet.

Thanks for the help.

Matt Armfield

One appraoch I have used is to create a small update file on the machine's c-drive, using FSO. Then, you check to see if the file exists. If so, don't do the update.

Another is to look in the registry for the update name, as all things installed are recorded in there. If the key with the name exists, then don't install.

Some (perhaps all for W2K3) MS updates and hotfixes if you run them again on the same machine check automatically if the files it is updating have already been updated by checking version numbers. If it finds that the update has already been run, it will simply stop and not update again.

You could also do this in a Group Policy. Just create a new GPO object and then go to Software Install Policy, and add a new installation. Point to the update and make sure that it is the machine policy you set it on... unless (as you are using logon.bat) it is for each user of that machine. In that instance GPO is best because it specifically records in the machine's registry what it has deployed, including updates. This is by far the least fidly, but the scripting options above offer the best opportunity to play with scripts! Something I enjoy (okay... so I'm sad!)

hth,

Will
[morning]

Convert that setup apps to MSI, and deploy it in group policy, assign application to computer not user .

Convert setup apps to msi.

On the W2K Server/Advanced Server CD is a copy of WinInstall LT. You can use WinInstall free of charge to make custom MSI from any executible.

Or

======================

Deploy apps in group policy. Below is the sample on how to do it, I this example the msi file is tn.msi

Although I did deploy apps to group policy, I never convert .exe to msi then deploy, so above idea is just suggestion and no guarantee it will work..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back