Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Run multiple sites with 1 External IP address

Status
Not open for further replies.

reynolwi

IS-IT--Management
Sep 7, 2006
US
Ok, I am not sure if I am posting this in the right forum but here goes.

What I have currently is all our websites are hosted thru 1&1 Internet and then I have our exchange server running in our location in our network. I want to bring everything completely in house but I do not know how to set everything so it goes to the right server. I only have one external IP so I was thinking maybe a proxy/firewall server to forward domains to the right server or something like that. Our gateway is a Netgear FVS114 because I have 3 remote locations connected thru VPN. Im thinking I might set a server or 2 and the different remote sites and use their external IPs as well, but if something happens to them they arent where I can get to them easily.

I also have a VoIP server I need to try and get access to outside for users but havent been successful with that because of the way I have the gateway set to forward web traffic to exchange on ports 80 and 443.

Any suggestions?

Wm. Reynolds
Premise Communications
Texas Public Safety Solutions

- - - - - - - - - - - - -

Network Error:
Hit any user to continue

Hello, no problem.

Use differents internal IPs on your websites and do a web publishing rule on your proxy/router.

All the domain names will have the same external IP.

The proxy will make the difference between the sites by the host header and forward the request to the good internal IP corresponding to your website.

hope this helps.

Jeff

Hope this helps. Please let me know if this resolve your issue

Jeff

That is what I am looking into. I just setup our new pfSense hardware and someone told me Squid can act as a reverse proxy and do exactly what I am looking for.

Wm. Reynolds
Premise Communications

Network Error:
Hit any user to continue

yes you can have multiple sites using one IP using "host headers". You just have to add in the name in the virtual site like site1.domain.com and site2.domain.com, the webserver will then sort out where its supposed to go. Mail uses MX records on a different port to web servers (25 instead of 80).

You will have issues if you need to use HTTPS as it doesn't support host headers.

Agree with Hondy.
Use host headers - that way you can have multiple sites on the same server all hosted with a single IP address.

Rgds

Phil B

I do not have multiple sites on 1 server. I have multiples sites on multiple servers.

I currently have exchange/owa, sharepoint, asterisk, and a webserver

Wm. Reynolds
Premise Communications

Network Error:
Hit any user to continue

We do somewhat like you are requesting. We offload our SSL with an appliance called a KEMP Loadmaster. It can handle all of the redirection and CNAME records in your DNS to point the sites to the KEMP appliance. You have a NAT or PAT rule on your firewall and keep your KEMP in your DMZ so you can have multiple IPs in your DMZ and represented by 1 external IP infront of your firewall.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back