Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Run Extra Macro on Access Data or Transfer it to Excel First

Status
Not open for further replies.

JeaShe

Programmer
Mar 9, 2004
US
Hi all,

I want to run an Extra!Basic macro against data currently resides in an Access database. I don't know how to "getstring" data in Access then do what I need to do in Extra! then send confirmation/results to Access.

So since I'm very comfortable doing the same process in Excel I thought I might try to download the data from Access into Excel, run my macro there, then upload that data back to Access.

Do any of you have an opinion on how difficult it might be to do the process using Excel? What commands do I use to transfer the data back and forth? Or, is it a waste of time to transfer the data back and forth?

FYI I'm running the macro on around 11,000 records one time. So while it's a lot of records, it's a one-time run.

Thanks for any help! I also posted this on the VBA board for their advice.

Id skip the EB and write my script in Access VBA. If your comfortable with Excel VBA you shouldn't have any problems with Access. There's another TT forum for any Access VBA questions you may have regarding getting/modifying data on your table.

forum705

Any questions about using Attachmate objects can be answered here.

[small]Sometimes you gotta leave your zone of safety. You have to manufacture Inspirado. You gotta get out of the apartment. You've got to run with the wolves. You've got to dive into the ocean and fight with the sharks. Or just treat yourself to a delicious hot fudge sundae........ with nuts. - Jack Black[/small]

Thanks. I did finally post in Access site you recommended. I also wondered if anyone had some EB code that ran against and Access database they could share so I could try out that route. Thanks again.

I don't know for sure if there's an Access object you can load. But, I think you can use ADO on an Access DB.

Code:
set conn=Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Connection") 
conn.Open "myDB"

This is a pretty good reference (though web-oriented) for using ADO:

Set it up the same way you do Excel, here's a reference for the object, properties, methods ex.

[small]Sometimes you gotta leave your zone of safety. You have to manufacture Inspirado. You gotta get out of the apartment. You've got to run with the wolves. You've got to dive into the ocean and fight with the sharks. Or just treat yourself to a delicious hot fudge sundae........ with nuts. - Jack Black[/small]

Ok. Thanks. I was looking at this through Access Help last week. Just got to put it all together. Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back