Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Run DOS game

Status
Not open for further replies.

SQLScholar

Programmer
Aug 21, 2002
GB
Hey,

I have an old DOS game i downloaded (abandonware) (sensible world of soccer). I cant get it to work in XP, so i thought DOS cause i have a NTFS HD and the second is DOS. I tried using an old 98 bootdisk but i cant see my second drive.

I really want a game of SWOS

TIA

Dan ----------------------------------------
There are 2 types of computer, the prototype and the obsolete!!

You mean your second drive is FAT or FAT32? Are you sure it can't see second drive? It won't be able to see first (because ntfs) - so second will be the C: drive when you boot from win98 boot floppy.

Plank,

Im not sure i quite understand you but here goes,

The HD that your probably viewing (after using the win98 boot disk) is the DOS partition. To see the NTFS partition try getting a hold of NTFSDOS.

Cheers

Wolluf got it right.... i meant FAT32 where i wrote dos HD. I couldnt find the HD anywhere in dos.... i tried every letter i could.

TIA

Dan
----------------------------------------

If you boot from win98 boot floppy and run fdisk, does it see both disks? And if so, what does it think is on second disk (option 5 to change to second disk then 4 to display information). It might see it as non-dos partition, in which case you could back up data on it, then use fdisk to remove existing partition & create new one. Reboot & format and it should be visible. Then (assuming XP can see it! - possibly won't), you can copy stuff back to it.

In WindowsXP it gives you the option to create a startup disk just like in Win98. All that disc does is start up a DOS boot screen.

Create the boot disc from your WinXP control panel and use it to boot your computer into XP DOS mode. You should be able to recognize the NTFS format HD and access all of the files you are looking for to run your game.

Whether or not the game will play in this latest version of "XPDOS" is yet to be determined.

God bless,
Bobby

I haven't tried it so I could be wrong but....
I thought that the created disk would be just like a boot disk created with ME which will NOT be able to read NTFS.

There’s no such thing as XP dos. XP creates a fairly minimal MS-dos (ME version) start-up disk (less on it than win98/ME boot floppy). Certainly can’t read ntfs filestore from it.

I've seen a Win98 boot disk fail to see the NTFS but when it sees the FAT32 it usually changes the drive letter to where the first FAT partition is C:, even though the actual partition may be a higher letter.

aaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!

Sorry guys and gals.... i am sure i had the second as FAT32, but it seems to be another NTFS, how did this happen??

Anyway, does anyone know a quick way to format it back to FAT32

TIA

Dan ----------------------------------------

Go to My Computer\manage\Storage\Disk Management, select the partition on the disk you want to format and choose FAT32 as the file system.
You will have to do a format and will loose all data on that partition. There is no way to revert from NTFS to FAT32 without reformating the partition. (converting from FAT32 to NTFS is possible by using the convert command)

Have fun!

other than using something like Partition Magic, of course.

Cheers guys.

I orignally kept this as FAT 32 for these exact reasons.... well i thought i had. Time to format.

Thanx again ----------------------------------------

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back