Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

run as admin

Status
Not open for further replies.

slakk

IS-IT--Management
Jul 29, 2009
US
Hello,
I have a pc that is running windows xp pro and have a standard user account. I need to have a certain program to run as admin. every time it is used. I know that you can hold shift key down and click run as then you are a prompted for a username and password, it will then hold it until the program is done. Then when the standard user logs back in the program will run as that current user again. Is there any way to make it so that the program runs as admin under a standard user account and holds it, so they are not prompted for username and password for the admin.
Thanks

if my memory serves you can create a shortcut to the application and modify the shortcut properties to 'always' run as a different user (Shortcut>Advanced>Run with diff credentials)

Hi shadoo7,
If you create that short cut and go to properties and click advanced it brings up the window run program with different credentials. Will this bring up the pop up window asking for a password every time though?

Hi Slakk, the short answer is yes you can, it does involve a slight butchering of the shortcut.

Once you've created the shortcut you need to edit the 'Target' field with something like the following: (all 1 line)

C:\WINDOWS\system32\runas.exe /savecred /user:username@domainname "C:\Program Path\Filename.exe"

When you run it the first time you should be prompted for a password, when runnning it a second time it should utilise the /savecred switch and just run your app :)

I'm pretty sure there's a shim available for this also. I've not played around with shim's, so I can't give much advice on them I'm afraid. It would be a more permanent solution and a less risky one (in terms of security) but obviously would require more work also

Understanding Shims

microsoft.com:Managing Shims in the Enterprise

I don't think this is an MS shim but worth a look:

I've not read all the links above, so hopefully I've not duplicated what's already been said

Irish Poetry - Karen O'Connor
Irish Poetry and Short Stories - Doghouse Books
Garten und Landschaftsbau

Hi shad007,
I think I will try your advice for the shorcut, I will post back if I got it.
thanks for the help
slak

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back