Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Run a report without starting Access first

Status
Not open for further replies.

klm2klm2

Programmer
Dec 24, 2002
US
I want users to have the ability to run a pre-defined Access report, but I don't want them entering the Access IDE (the database is password protected). How can I give users the ability to run an Access report yet keep them out of the Access IDE?

Thanks,
Kim

The only thing I can suggest is to output the report to an external file (Word, HTML, Excel or Notepad) on exit from the Access Application and then place a shortcut on their desktop to the Word documenmt.
Or alternatively create a seperate Access 'front-end' on their pc which just allows access to the report, this will mean that they will not need permissions.
Ian

"To say 'thankyou' encourages others."

Interesting idea, Ian. Unfortunately, I don't have an Access application. I have a VB application that uses an Access database. Is there some way to trigger the running of the report when the database closes?

You could open and run the instance of Access with the visible property set to false. One caution, though: if Access throws an error you may have to reboot to cancel the instance. Debug your code with the instance visible before adding changing to invisible.
Since you're developing in VB and only accessing the data from Access, you might get a better answer in the Visual Basic Databases forum.

JoyInOK,

I'd like for the solution to not include VB. Please elaborate on how to open and run Access with the visible property set to false. Or at least provide key words to look up in the help files.

Thanks!
Kim

Check out the following KB article:
192919 - HOWTO: Automate a Secured Access Database Using Visual Basic
Even if your database is not secured, it will show you about setting references and automating Access databases from VB. After creating the instance of Access, set its visible property to false.
If objAcc is you Access application
objAcc.visible = false

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back