Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Rules under Table Heads

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hammerbhoy

Technical User
Sep 30, 2004
GB
I have a four column table in Word that requires a 1pt rule under each heading in all four columns. Each column is 20mm wide but the 1pt rule needs to be indented 2mm either side making a 16mm rule. Can this be done using borders?
Thanks

Make the table 12 columns
[tt]
columns 1, 3, 4, 6, 7, 9, 10, 12: 2 mm wide
columns 2, 5, 8, 11 : 16 mm wide with 1 pt bottom border
[/tt]
In row 1, merge
[tt]
1, 2, 3
4, 5, 6
7, 8, 9
[/tt]

Skip,
[sub]
[glasses] [red]Be Advised![/red] Dyslexic poets...
write inverse! [tongue][/sub]

I wanted to avoid having 12 columns for a 4 column table. I guess word is just not good enough!

I guess word is just not good enough!
What an odd thing to say.

People...it is a word processor, NOT a graphics layout application. IMHO I wish Word did LESS graphical stuff, and concentrated on being what it is supposed to do.....be a word processor.

Further, with Skip's suggestion it is not really a 12 column table anymore, sort of, kind of. Not good enough? Get a grip.

If your document "needs" this kind of layout - and BTW this is a graphical layout, and I have questions as to why ANY document "needs" to have such - then....buy Quark (or something similar and appropriate), and use it.

Sheeesh.

Gerry

You know, it is possible to back out a screw with a butter knife, or hammer a small nail with a screw driver.

Oh well! I guess my screw driver is "just not good enough!"

Skip,
[sub]
[glasses] [red]Be Advised![/red] Dyslexic poets...
write inverse! [tongue][/sub]

Well....yes. True. It is possible to have "sex" via email....but it is not very productive.

Gerry

Yes Word is only a word processor but unfortunately all the big banks and legal companies use Word for their financial print, when Quark would be far better especially when trying to set tables. I am only trying to copy a style sent in by a legal company.

IF...IF...IF...YOU WANT A WORKAROUND:

[NOTE: Be sure to draw the lines outside the Table and later move them inside, under the headings.]

Draw a line much longer than 16mm using the Draw toolbar.
While the line is still selected, change the Line Style to 1pt.
Next, double-click the line and change the Size > Width to 16mm.

[NOTE: You don't have to worry about your units of measure being set to something other than millimeters--just make sure you delete all preexisting characters in the Width field.]

Now that the line is exactly 16mm with a 1pt thickness, copy and paste it side-by-side as many times as you need.
Then select all the lines, using the Select Objects arrow on the Draw toolbar to trace a rectangle around all the lines.
Click Draw > Align or Distribute > Align Top
With all the lines still selected, use your keyboard's UP ARROW to move the lines under the headings in the Table.

[NOTE: Be sure to keep all the lines selected when fine tuning the VERTICAL PLACEMENT.]

Fine tune the VERTICAL PLACEMENT by using the CTRL+UP/DOWN ARROWS and fine tune the HORIZONTAL PLACEMENT by using the CTRL+LEFT/RIGHT ARROWS.

[NOTE:: The lines will move with the headings/Table as text is added/deleted in the document.]

dcompto.....FINE work there!

hammmerbhoy - you state copying a style sent to you. Are you saying you have a document that has this configuration as a STYLE?????

Gerry

I have several documents using the type of rule under headings I am trying to copy. A Style has not been set up. I have managed to figure out how to do the rules using the Borders and Shading feature in the format menu. It does not work using the Borders and Shading in the Formatting Palette.
Select heading within cell, in Borders and Shading - Preview select rule width and click on bottom rule - apply to paragraph. Selection Options to adjust the amount of space between rule and heading.
Go to table menu and select Table Properties - Cell - Options - Cell Margins. You can now select an appropriate amount left and right. In the table I want to create I have a 20mm cell that requires a 16mm rule, so I have selected 2mm left and right.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back