Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Rules (that DO work) won't run automatically 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

deb18

Programmer
May 19, 2003
US
When I set up a rule to move mail from my Inbox to another
folder, nothing happens as the mail arrives. If I go to
Tools | Rules Wizard | Run Now - and manually run the rule
on all emails currently in the Inbox, it moves the
messages. How can I get Outlook to "stay alert" and
follow my rules on its own?

I am using Outlook 2000 SP-3 (9.0.0.6627)

Thanks!

Deb,

I am having the same problem with OL2003. I wish someone would reply to this thread. :)

Steve

Could you post the rule? For example, in the Rules and Alerts window (OL 2003), what is in the Rule description box?

-Todd

SteveDeb:
Any luck in solving this problem?

tSkelton:
Thanks for replying. Here it is:
Apply this rule after the message arrives
with [tech_notes] in the subject
move it to the tech_notes Inbox folder
except if the subject or body contains deb

Thanks very much!
Deb

Here's my rule:

Apply this rule after message arrives
with Alert Mail Test in the subject
move it to the Junk Stuff folder

The rules will work if I apply them to mail coming in from a POP3 account. They do not work for mail coming through my Exchange account.

Any ideas???

Is it possible that other rules are interfering with your rule in question? I noticed that neither sample rule has 'stop processing more rules' as the last line of the rule. You can check the checkbox for this option at the same point where you select to move the message to a specific folder (at the 'select actions' step).

Try adding that option and report back.

Good luck!

-Todd

tskelton,

It is the only rule that I have. I deleted all the others on the KISS principle. Also, I have found that I am the only 1 who has rules roblems. I went to the account of another in our IT staff and played with his and they work fine. The 1 difference between my account and the others is that we got a new backup software and I did a mailbox restore on mine to see if it worked ok. I wonder if that's when my rules stopped working. I am not sure. Maybe I messed my mailox up. After all, MS doesn't support 3rd party mailbox level restores...

Out of the blue everything has started working. I wish that I could relate in this thread how, but I do not know. Yestaerday morning I came in and fired up Outlook. As the messages acme in the rules started working. I made some new rules and they are working now too.

I changed nothing.
????

I saw stevedeb's post and remembered that I forgot to give tskelton a star :).
When I added the 'stop processing more rules' everything worked fine. I still don't understand why because I didn't have any other rules. Someone in my office who had the same problem also added 'stop processing more rules' and his rule started working automatically too. He had other rules but none of them were relevant to the emails that were affected by this rule. ???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back