Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Rugged VoIP Handsets

Status
Not open for further replies.

espressomaker

IS-IT--Management
Oct 1, 2002
US
Researching options for my company's near-future VoIP implementation. I've searched for some type of ruggedized wireless handset (ie. to enable warehouse managers to roam) and have not come up with much. Conditions are not exactly harsh but would like a unit that could survive a 5-6 ft fall. We haven't decided on a specific VoIP vendor so we're not yet tied down to a specific one. Can anyone comment on any wireless handsets they have experience with?
Thanks

Spectralink make some wireless IP sets. I am not sure how durable they are. There are also Duraphone phones that are covered in rubber. They are analog though. there are also alot of DECT systems out there. i think it will make a difference what phone system you are going to use.

Well if you decide to go with Nortel to support your VoIP, there BCM platform supports both Digital Mobility and WLAN Handsets. I know the Digital Mobility is designed specifically for warehouse type usage.

What doesn't kill you only makes you stronger.

Spectralink (now owned by Polycom) has the best and most reliable system. They guarantee a fall of 12ft and they boast of the most rugged phone on the market. Spectralink can mimic any phone sytem brand features including voicemail alert. You can implement them as proprietary antennas or use IP sets that use wireless adapters.

I also have service experience with ASCOM and I do not care for the voice quality or the ease of function. I don't know if the i75 is any better since I have not used that particular model.

As I am biased I will not tell you which phone is the best. But I will give you some facts:

The protection classification ( for the
for the i75 is IP64. (
The i75 is the only VoWiFi phone with Cisco(R) Compatible Extensions (CCX) v2 Approval. (And it works in many other systems such as Trapeze, Meru and Aruba.

The i75 has won awards such as VoWLAN Nordic Award for "Best VoWLAN telephone" when put up against competition such as Spectralink, Cisco etc.

As a insider I can also tell you that the development of new functionality is still ongoing and there are several new features being added with next software release.

Thanks to everyone for their responses. In the end, our choices were narrowed by the solution provider we decided to go with. Since a few of you recommended Spectralink, I feel the selection was not a bad one. However, the system has not yet been implemented so the jury is still out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back