Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Rub the cable get a wish?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sparkintine

Vendor
Oct 23, 2003
US
I've got a problem,I have a P4, A-Bit motherboard with a 380w antec powersupply, when I try to start my computer in the morning everytime I have to unplug the power cord and rub the end with my key and then plug it back in and it starts fine...So far I've replaced the power supply.What componets do I need to replace to fix this problem?

Check your electrical outlet that it has the proper polarity and ground. There are cheap testers that you can get from either a hardware or electrical supply store. It's also recomended that you use a surge protected power bar too

I had the same problem with my pc a few years ago and it drove me nuts. My computer would work fine but if i powered it off I would have to unplug it and plug it back in. I ended up gutting the pc and tring each card one by one. It turned out to be my Voodoo card, and I ended up replacing it and my problem went away.

-FuZ
mikesmolens@jmjpc.net

Error loading error message

And the power switch is set for the correct voltage.

You might also try fooling it by almost rubbing it on the end. If it still starts it indicates a time delay issue, not the key rubbing issue. Or try unplugging it from the receptical end for the same duration and see if it starts.

You could also try a new power cord. Or verify that the existing one is fully seated in the mating jack.

Ed Fair
Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions.

I am fasinated to know how you came to try the Key rubbing business in the first place, Not an obvious diagnostic procedure.

...Eh..I learned this from another person...worked for them... so I figured if it worked for them it might as well work for me...but now its just gettin annoying...and if you dont rub the end with the keys then it dosent work...I've heard complaints from other people too...so I kinda threw the bad outlet theory out...I'm gonna try a new graphics card...thanks for the ideas

***Could the key be discharging a capacitor?***

Well wouldnt the current go into his hand then? Or would it not conduct it?

ComputerCop911
ASP/HTML Programmer, Knowledgeable Computer Network/Hardware/Software Geek ;-)

I have been in the business for over twenty years and never heard of this key rubbing business. If it works, then we have to be looking at the cable rather than the PSU as its rubbing the end of the kettle lead that seems to resolve the fault, if on a temp basis. So what can be happening. The thing that is not stated is wether this is a UK, Euro or US std lead and mains supply.
If a Euro or UK lead it could be an earthing problem in the lead/socket. With a US lead it could be a build up of potential from the mains circuit, or due to cable sheathing breaking down etc. Have you tried replacing the cable and/or trying it on a different mains circuit.

sparkintine, when you say your rub the end of the power cord with a key, what part are you talking about? The ground lead, or all of it?

Yeah I havent heard of this key rubbing either. I agree with Jeff1994, which part of the cord are you rubbing it with?

ComputerCop911
ASP/HTML Programmer, Knowledgeable Computer Network/Hardware/Software Geek ;-)

Are you rubbing the end of the cable that does into the wall outlet or that plugs into the computer? Are you unplugging the cable on both ends when you do this?

Donald H. Heritage
Senior Technical Advisor
A+, MCSE Windows NT4, CCNA

Email : Don.Heritage@Convergys.Com

I just unplug the cable from the computer then rub that end...the end that plugs into the computer..I ordered the graphics card and should be here on friday..if replacing the graphics card does not work I plan on replacing the mobo..its not a grounding issue on the wall socket side... I've tried this computer in 4 different buildings and its done the same thing in each...

I rub the female end of the power cord..

uhhh....did you try replacing the cord?

It doesn't make a whole lot of sense that rubbing the cord when it's not attached to the PC would make a difference unless the cord or wall socket is the problem.

~cdogg
[tab]"All paid jobs absorb and degrade the mind";
[tab][tab]- Aristotle
[tab][navy]For general rules and guidelines to get better answers, click here:[/navy] faq219-2884

And I'm not so sure rubbing the female end of the power cord with a metal key is a good idea when the male end is connected to the wall socket!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back