Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

RTs are wrong when details suppressed or pie chart not

Status
Not open for further replies.

kdk13

Programmer
Jul 3, 2002
US
I'm running a report (CR 7) that summarizes trouble tickets by Application field. I created a fake group for G1 so I could display a pie chart with the correct data in GH1. My G2 is by Application. I suppress the details section and have RTs in my GF2 and GF1 to show totals by Application and then Grand Totals.

But one particular Application's GF2 RTs are wrong. When I unsuppress the details to see what tickets are being counted, suddenly the RTs are correct. Or if I suppress the detail and suppress the pie chart, the RTs are correct.

I've made a workaround of creating a Details b section that's not suppressed, but so small it's not visible and that has worked.

Just wondering if anyone knows why the RTs might be failing when details are suppressed or a pie chart is not.

CR 7 had some bugs with running totals. I have seen these errors usually related to the features 'repeat group header' or 'keep group together'. I have not seen these problems with v8 or v8.5 Ken Hamady, On-site Custom Crystal Reports Training & Consulting
Public classes and individual training.
Guide to using Crystal in VB
tek@kenhamady.com

Thanks for the info. I just tested this in my test install of 8.5 and it worked fine. Now if only my company would roll out 8.5 to Production!

OK, I spoke too soon. In 8.5, when my data runs over a page, the next page running totals for GF2 and GF1 are zero. At least I got something with 7. Even my workaround doesn't work. I'll keep playing around. I turned off repeat group header and keep group together, but it still doesn't work.

Are these 'automatic' running total fields, or formulas that use variables to create running totals? Ken Hamady, On-site Custom Crystal Reports Training & Consulting
tek@kenhamady.com

I have running totals created in the Running Total Expert. They all have a Summary of distinct count on Ticket_id, Evaluate using a formula, and Reset on change of Group. I have 2 RTs for each column - one to reset on G2 and one for G1. Then I have a formula for each RT that if the RT is null it displays 0 else the RT. The formulas are what's displayed on the report.

(BTW, is there any easier way to handle the nulls? The Convert Null to Default doesn't work for this.)

What is the evaluate formula?
If you put the RT on the detail band can you see where the zero occurs? Ken Hamady, On-site Custom Crystal Reports Training & Consulting
tek@kenhamady.com

The evaluate formula is different for each column depending on what I'm trying to capture. Mostly they are looking at the status of the ticket or the team assigned to the ticket. I don't think this is causing the problem.

I did put the RTs themselves in the detail and then unsuppressed it to see what it was doing, but then it calculates things correctly. Then I suppress the details and suddenly it's wrong again. In 7 it appears to be the one GF2 on the new page and the GF1 totals are 'correct' in that they include the wrong amounts from the one wrong GF2. In 8.5, it is every GF2 row on the next page and the final GF1 totals that are zero.

I did move my pie chart to a subreport because I needed to limit the data reported in the chart and that has worked. I have not tested this in 8.5 yet. Maybe tomorrow...

If you take out the evaluate formula do they still have similar problems. If so, then the eval is unrelated. But, if they work consistently with NO eval formula, then it maybe something in the formula. Ken Hamady, On-site Custom Crystal Reports Training & Consulting
tek@kenhamady.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back