Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Rt error when running cobol application 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

lonufer

Instructor
May 4, 2005
US
I have a DOS cobol program that generates a <app name> Segment RT error 153 message when I try to run it. I can run this program in other extremely similar environments. I have checked for corruption and any configuration differences in the other users' environments and I can't see any differences. When I use the database on my pc and another similar OS, I get the same error but when I use databases (which, in theory should be the same)the program runs fine. I don't know anything about COBOL and obviously, it isn't the program itself. But does anyone have any suggestions on what I can check that could be causing this error? (The big picture: Proprietary software kicks out a database output file, this file is converted to an ascii file and then passed thru the cobol program to convert the file into a format the company needs to import it into PeopleSoft) I can't get the cobol step to run.
Any help would be appreciated. Since this is DOS and old, I don't have any resources available for troubleshooting within the organization.

If this is a Micro Focus application (you don't say), a RT153 is a subscript out of range error. My guess would be that some working storage set aside for storing records has ceased to be large enough or that some different run time directives are being used.

Clive

Do you have the source code? If it is truely Micro Focus, you might try running it under XM.

Hey lonufer,

it is very important to know, what cobol-version you use. Im sure, it is not ACUCOBOL!! This error ist unknown.

Regards Helmut

Your file has a table that is set to a maximum number of entries and you have exceeded it. We had a purge program that had a limit to the number of records to a specific invoice and it was exceeded. I had to go into the program and change the maximum on the index. We also run dos versions.
Cathy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back