Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

RSS reader needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

michel777

Technical User
Sep 23, 2009
CH
Hi forum,

I'm searching for RSS reader, specialities:

- access only Wordpress
- the Wordpress installation is within the same company
- reader with no costs

Could you reccomend some stable "products" ?

Thanks in advance,

Michel

I would recommend Firefox as an excellent RSS Reader. I've used IE7 and IE8 RSS Readers, but I think the Firefox one is nicer.

I don't know how you can limit it to only Wordpress (and further, Wordpress within your own company), but I would assume you would only subscribe to RSS Feeds that you wanted to follow... so this is probably not a big deal.

Finally, all three RSS Readers I have mentioned are free (although you do have to pay to get some kind of Windows to run IE7 or IE8... so strictly speaking Firefox would be a better fit).

Hope that helps!
Jeff

[tt]Visit my blog [!]@[/!] Visit Code Couch [!]@[/!] [/tt]

Make sure your web page and css validates properly against the doctype you have chosen - before you attempt to debug a problem!

FAQ216-6094

A quick follow-up on this... I would consider using Google Reader as well. This is browser agnostic - so you could use whatever you liked.

Cheers!
Jeff

[tt]Visit my blog [!]@[/!] Visit Code Couch [!]@[/!] [/tt]

Make sure your web page and css validates properly against the doctype you have chosen - before you attempt to debug a problem!

FAQ216-6094

I use outlook 2007 at work - it integrates nicely as a folder on the side underneath my "inbox"

At home, it's google reader - the first page to load when my browser opens.

--------
GOOGLE is a great resource to find answers to questions like "how do i..."

If you don't know exaclty what you want to do or what to search on, try Google Suggest: --------
I have recently been semi-converted to ensuring all my code (well most of it) works in both javascript and non-javasc

it does raise the question: if the feed is produced within the company, and you only want this feed read, why do you need RSS and a reader? just produce a report that users can view with the relevant information.

to anwser your questions
I'm searching for RSS reader, specialities:
- access only Wordpress
- the Wordpress installation is within the same company
- reader with no costs
1. you cannot use the reader to filter only wordpress feeds. RSS is just a format. how/who produces the feed is irrelevant.
2. if you only want the reader to read from this feed use your firewall proxy to control this.
3. again RSS is just a formatting standard. you could build your own feed reader using XSLT to transform the xml into human presentable output. a simple webpage that transfroms the feed into html would work. pull up the page and read through the events.

Jason Meckley
Programmer
Specialty Bakers, Inc.

faq855-7190
faq732-7259

I beg your pardon, teh description was mot clear enough.

Actually we want read the feeds within the html page (e.g. javascrip) and display the preapred / filtered content in the browser window.

Wordpress within the same company. Changes on the wordpress side is not welcome, but ev. possible. This a company with over 25.000 users. There is only teh 4 standard Wordpress rss.

I hope this helps.

Warm regards,

Michel

Jeff,

as I described we need READ the RSS feed and not to FEED. Anyway thanks for your effort.

Michel.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back