Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

RSH, RCP and REXEC on OpenVMS

Status
Not open for further replies.

dyaker

Programmer
Feb 28, 2003
US
Questions:
1-How do I check what products (RSH, RCP, REXEC) are installed on the machine?
2-If they are not installed, how do I install them?

Most importantly,
What I'm trying to do is FTP into the OpenVMS box and run commands.(i.e. set...)

How do I accomplish this?

Thank you.

These programs should be part of the tcp/ip software that you installed on your system. See if you have any of the following products:

UCX
TCP/IP of OpenVMS
Multinet
TCPWare

Any of these products, when installed and configured with the required services (ex, ftp, rexec, snmp, smtp, etc..), will allow you to do what you want.

Thanks Wallace88.
The problem I have is that I was kind of assigned the task of retrieving data from this box and I had nothing to do with the installation of anything on it. This was done years ago (this is the oldest system we have).
How can I check if these products are installed?
If they are not installed, how do I install them?

Thanks again.

There are two methods to show what products are installed on your OpenVMS system, depending on the method of installation:

$ product show product

$ type VMSINSTAL.HISTORY

You will need the software media kit to install these products. UCX and TCP/IP of OpenVMS can be found with the OpenVMS distribution kit. Multinet and TCPware is a 3rd party application owned by Process software.

The "product show product" showed:

PRODUCT KIT TYPE STATE
----------------------------------- ----------- ----------
DEC AXPVMS DECNET_PHASE_IV V7.1-2 Full LP Installed
DEC AXPVMS OPENVMS V7.1-2 Platform Installed
DEC AXPVMS UCX V4.2-21 Full LP Installed
DEC AXPVMS VMS V7.1-2 Oper System Installed
----------------------------------- ----------- ----------

UCX is installed, and I can use FTP, but no sign of rexec or help on rexec.
How can I configure it?

Thanks

You can see what products were installed on your system with the following commands:

$ product show product

$ type SYS$COMMON:[SYSUPD]VMSINSTAL.HISTORY

If you need to install any one of the products, then you will have to find the media kit for these products.

DEC TCP/IP for OpenVMS, formerally known as UCX, can be found with the OpenVMS media distribution kit.

Multinet and TCPware are supplied by Process Software. You will need to contact them if you want to use their products.

You might also run $ LICENSE LIST/BRIEF to see what licenses are installed on your system.

You need to run the UCX config

$ @sys$manager:ucx$config

This will bring up a menu. Choose (2 - Client components) and then choose (4 - REXEC and RSH). Then choose the option that states "Enable service on this node". You will be questioned seperately for RSH and REXEC.

Once the necessary services are configured you can exit the procedure.

The next step would be to either:
(1) Restart System
(2) Restart UCX -
$ @sys$startup:ucx$shutdown and then
$ @sys$startup:ucx$startup
(3) Issue the following command:
$ ucx enable service REXEC

You can verify that REXEC has been enabled by issuing $ ucx show service and looking for the REXEC service and state.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back