Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

rsh command

Status
Not open for further replies.

vti

Technical User
Feb 26, 2001
TR

Hi all,
When i try to run rsh command it returns me "Permission Denied" even I got entries $HOME/.rhosts and /etc/hosts.equiv files on remote host.

Any idea?

Thanks

Put entries in the server running the 'rsh' comamnds from.

hi dblair
Thanks for answer but i already put entries there but even i can ping the server which i want to access by rsh .but when i run the rsh command it returns time out.Probably firwall make this situation .
Does anyone know what does rsh use port type and number ?

Thanks

Ports for rsh is 513 and 514 (login and shell)

For the previous question:
Telnet to the box and run "who am i" to check that the address resolved for your client is the same as the one you put in .rhosts
Also check that the file is not writable for group or world, it will be discarded. Remember that if you try to rsh as root you need to open root security for ptys in /etc/securettys

As a last tip I would suggest that you use ssh , specially if your traffic is going outside your firewall. If your version of Tru64 is higher than 5.1 you can download a free SSH2 kit from HP or you can download an OpenSSH kit and try to compile it.

Hi vti,

I have the exact same problem. Did you ever find a solution

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back