Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

RSCN every two seconds 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

I21st

Technical User
Dec 27, 2004
US
I have a group of Windows 2000 Servers connected to a Brocade Fabric with two tape libraries attached via Fibre. Using a Netbackup 5.0 SSO solution to share the libraries among multiple media servers. When I try and place one of the libraries into a zone that would allow it to be seen by two servers, both servers begin to see RSCN's every two seconds (or as fast as the system reports them using Qlogic's Extended error logging.) I went through quite a few permutations of hosts and tape library combonations and now I'm wondering if the OS's are just creating conflicts. Does anyone know what would cause such a rash of RSCN's to occur? I'm only a month into learning about SAN's, Fibre Channel, etc so any help would be great. Thanks.

How do you have the Zones set up? There should be 2 zones, each with 1 host and the library.

Repeated RSCN's normally mean that there is either a configuration of the port error, HBA config error, bad GBIC, or bad Port on the switch.

What type of library?

What type of HBA in the servers?

What type of SAN Switches?

The zoning is setup as you said. One library and host per zone. It only seems to happen when I add either the same library to two hosts or both libraries to a single host. The libraries are a ADIC Scalar 100 and a Dell PV132T, each with two drives. HBA's are QLogic 2200 or 2340. Switches are Brocade Silkworm 2800's (1Gbps). Both the hosts I'm using are Windows 2000 SP4 Servers. Essentially, the view on the SANSurfer utility changes as often as I setup the update interval and if I enable extended logging, my system log fills up with Fabric Port logins every two seconds.

How is your HBA topology setup? Are they set to be Point to Point or Loop?

Can you post the following from you switch:

switchshow

It's a single switch and all systems are connected via point to point. The nsshow table appears to be valid and all the devices appear to login properly to the fabric. Here's the switchshow below. Port 2=ADIC Scalar 100, Port 7=host2, port 8=Dell PV132T, and port 14=host1. The other devices are a couple disk arrays that are not in play for this discussion. Individual Soft-zones are being used to group (2,14), (7,8), (8,14). (By WWN obviously.)

switchName: XXXXXX
switchType: 2.4
switchState: Online
switchMode: Native
switchRole: Principal
switchDomain: 2
switchId: fffc02
switchWwn: 10:00:00:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx
switchBeacon: OFF
Zoning: ON (xxxxxx)
port 0: id No_Light
port 1: id No_Light
port 2: id Online F-Port 10:00:00:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx
port 3: id No_Light
port 4: id No_Light
port 5: id No_Light
port 6: id No_Light
port 7: id Online F-Port 21:00:00:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx
port 8: id Online F-Port 20:01:00:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx
port 9: id No_Light
port 10: id Online F-Port 50:06:01:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx
port 11: id Online F-Port 50:06:01:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx
port 12: id Online F-Port 50:06:01:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx
port 13: id Online F-Port 50:06:01:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx
port 14: id Online F-Port 21:00:00:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx
port 15: id Online F-Port 50:06:0e:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx

Host1 is the master server for Netbackup and needs access to both libraries. Host2 is only a media server and the connection to the Dell library is working as long as I don't add host1 connecting to the Dell library also. Host1 only sees the library on port 2 but neither of the drives. Host1 sucks. =)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back