Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

RSC card and Sunfire 280R

Status
Not open for further replies.

breaz25

MIS
Jun 17, 2003
US
We had a major network cutover and had to change the ip/netmaks dns and ntp configuration files. They were changed and the system rebooted. Now the box appears to come up in single user mode (you can ping it but can't log in). Also, the other catch is I can't get to the console via the rsc or ttya or ttyb ports. I can't troubleshoot the problem. We had several boxes that this happened to. Some you could get to the lom / ttya but once you needed to enter the password for maintenance mode it would no longer except it??? output device set to screen, input set to keyboard. Also tried changing it to ttya for input/output. Any suggestions ??? This is crazy I am in a catch22.

breaz25,

I doubt that your box is in single user mode. I don't believe the network would have started or even be ping-able unless you have made significant changes to the rcS scripts to allow the network to start on a fresh boot to single user. I just tested this on my box here, and I cannot ping it after it entered single user from a reboot. It could be possible that the box hung on shutdown, unless of course you were watching it from the command line as it rebooted.

What do you mean by you cannot get to your RSC? You cannot telnet or dial in to your RSC? You don't have physical access to the box to plug into the serial port?

Jeff

Unix gives you just enough rope to hang yourself -- and then a couple of more feet, just to be sure. - Eric Allman

Actually after reseating the rsc card I can now get a console. The output and input devices are now set to rsc-console. It appears that the box is hanging. If I boot up in single user mode it asks me for ctl-d or password but doesnt take any input. You can ping the box but not telnet. I have tried to boot up in init 3 and init s. No luck. I can boot from cdrom and mount the slices and have looked around but see nothing to show me what the problem might be. When it boots up it shows the various disk slices stating - filesystem is clean and it runs across the screen. We had 5 boxes do this. They are all different os, platforms, etc. I guess I will have to rebuild. Any suggestions first?

yeah the box will sometimes hang if it has a problem seeing the network or if it has insufficient capability to stay connected to the network. I *think* if you have a connection to the network, it will try to configure that interface, even if you do not have any services started on it. Check your syslog's for problems.....a good place to start might be checking out /var/adm/messages.....if need be, just mount that slice, and copy the log to a floppy for analysis elsewhere.

you aren't getting an error from conskbd are you? What happens if you plug in a serial console to TTYA and take the rsc card out of the loop? Probably the same, thing, but worth a shot before you rebuild.

jeff

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back