Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

RSA and Server 2008 R2 Core

Status
Not open for further replies.

Elway7

MIS
Apr 5, 2002
CA
hi there,

I have a 2008 server R2 core that i need to be able to read smartcards and certificates from. On a normal GUI server i have installed the RSA middles ware (3.5.3) and it works fine. On the core server i cannot install the software because i get a warning saying that .net 3.5 framework is not installed. I have enabled the .net framework on the core server but I still get the same error.

Does anyone have any ideas, any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Although .Net 3.5 is supported on Server Core it's not installed by default. Have you verified if its installed?

i have verified the install and it is installed and enabled

The thing about the .NET Framework on Server Core is that while the entire thing can be installed, not all of it works. Bits of .NET that rely on components that don't exist on a Core installation will obviously fail, and it's entirely possible that the RSA software relies on or checks for that functionality.

I would recommend that you reach out to RSA and get their advice. They may have a different installer or installation method for Core. Since Core has been around for 3+ years now I would be surprised if they hadn't worked out compatibility issues by now.

MCITP:Server Administrator
MCITP:Enterprise Administrator
MCITP:Virtualization Administrator 2008 R2
Certified Quest vWorkspace Administrator

I second what kmcferrin has indicated. The .NET integration in Server Core maybe just what is required for MS products but not for all products that require .NET extensions

It's not even what is required for MS products. Installing .NET on Core only gets you the .NET functionality that is supported by the Core functionality. The full .NET libraries and classes will still be there but unless the underlying OS components exist they won't actually do anything.

MCITP:Server Administrator
MCITP:Enterprise Administrator
MCITP:Virtualization Administrator 2008 R2
Certified Quest vWorkspace Administrator

I resolved the issue...with a new version of the RSA software. One release later seemed to install fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back