Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

RS6000 F30 problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

u856100

Technical User
Feb 7, 2002
GB
Hi all,

I am having problems trying to get a decrepid F30 to work.
On boot up, the machine just seems to hang and is unable to boot from the cdrom drive. I am not able to use the Function keys (F4 & F5) to interrupt the boot sequence and reconfigure anything. The terminal is an emulated WYSE 50+, but nothing is displayed during boot. The machine just simply hangs with the error message FEB displayed on the LCD, and the hard disk LED goes a bit mental and flashes continously (or slowly when a floppy is inserted). I am starting to get annoyed with this machine as I have seemed to have spent a good few weeks trying to figure out what the problem is (My first and very painful experience with an IBM + AIX (if I could boot into it!))

at your mercy, and thanks

John

Well FEB is a firmware problem usually corruption............. You can go to the IBM website and try and get the new one for your model, and try to install it...........

As for the terminal set as vt100 8 1 N 9600 ........once it is up (and you are sure you have the right cable, and see stuff..you can later change to wyse50 term type if you wish........but try at vt100 first and assure the speed etc.... that way you can
use the f1 key to get into SMS mode..... or esc then key to use function keys...

PS if you have an IBM hardware support contract, IBM CE will come out and
fix the microcode for you.....or you can look at the site for recovery....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back