Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

RS 485 Connection Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

maxx61

Technical User
Jul 24, 2004
US
I am attempting to connect a 2nd time clock to our time clock sytem. Between the 2 time clocks the manufacturer says to use rs 485 cable. The only problem is that the connection on the time clocks is a rj 11 telephone connection and I can't fit the wire into the jack to crimp it in, its too large. Anyone have any suggustions ?

Terminate the wire on screw-down jacks, and use telephone line cords to connect from the jacks to the time clocks?

Terminate the cable in the clock housing, there is usually alot of space seeing there's a battery in the unit....use a normel surface mount box and Cat 5 connector ( I like panduit myself), then patch into it interface with telco line cord....

By doing this you maintain the cat 5 spec should the timeclocks become LAN capable.

Tommy got it right. Just obtain a pin-out from the time clock for the 485 signal terminate the 485 field signal to an RJ11 jack. Then use a telephone patch cord to connect as though it were modem.

A+,N+,S+,L+,I+,HTI+,e-Biz+,CETsr,CST,CNST,CNCT,CFOT,CCNT,CCTT,ACSP,ISA CCST3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back