Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

rremote SIP phones, no sound

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimrit

Technical User
Apr 14, 2005
US

I have a J179 SIP Phone set up at a remote location. It is tied an IPO at the main office. Licenses are not the issue. We have plenty, plenty of voice compression etc. We have the same set up from several locations. WE HAVE NO SOUND EITHER Direction from this location.

From this problem location, the phone logs on immediately and registers. The phone lights up with the buttons as programmmed. Correct extension shows. I can use the diretory and place calls, and calls to unanswered calls are transferred to Voice mail. All legs in these calls are logged by XIMA. But no voice

The switch on the remote end, has zero firewalls or blocking issues built in. We have tried this hardware at other locations without success. I can plug the phone directly into the switch at the main office and have no issues. On site everything is fine, except no sound. I have changed the direct media path to checked and unchecked. i have compared settings from other working phones, but have found no discrepancies. Is there a setting i am missing somewhere that would cause this? it is driving me to drink!!

How is the remote location connected to the main office?

If WAN then there is likely to be a firewall and it may be blocking the audio ports

I am with biglebowski on this
Audio issues are usually a network issue of sorts.
How is your system setup?
VPN between sites?
IPO on the open Internet?
SBC on the IPO side?
Router/firewall on the IPO side?
SIP ALG enabled in the firewall

if you look at the call trace in Monitor you will see the ports that it assigns to the connection and then you can see if those ports are forwarded properly if you have a firewall and also if your IPO sends the internal IP address rather than the external IP address as return address.

lots of options dependent on your setup

Joe
FHandw, ACSS, ACIS

"Dew knot truss yore Spell Cheque

If you have two way audio on the local net, but no audio on the remote, then this is 100% network.

As some have mentioned it very well could be a firewall setting, especially if you have filter on both inbound and outbound traffic.
One other thing to consider is that you have your LAN 1 or LAN2 (whichever is to the outside) set to the correct NAT type and have specified the public IP address on that tab. If these are set incorrectly you will end up with signalling ( phones ring ) but no audio.

When IP Office is behind a firewall, you may have to do some trial an error on the NAT type.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back