Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

RRAS

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigC666

IS-IT--Management
Mar 20, 2002
MX
i'm sure ya'll are gettin tired of me but, i have configured rras with the wiz on a win2k server have 2 nic boards using demand-dial with an internal modem. i can use and work with the internet on the server when i try to use ie on a win2kpro box with auto detect checked it can't find the hostname. using ad with dchp and dns on the server local network seems ok. this can't be that hard!!!!###

thanks
winn

Do you have NAT set up? I would uncheck the autodetect box also, leave all three blank. Make sure your internal NIC has a static IP with NO gateway. Are you able to ping IPs or hostnames from your win2k pro box? If you can hit an IP, but not a hostname, make sure you have the DNS forwarders enabled to your ISP DNS... Matt Wray
CCNA, MCP
mwray77518@yahoo.com

matt,
thanks for the reply.
the internal mic is set at 10.10.1.1,255.0.0.0 and dns is 127.0.0.1. the second nic is auto. when i set up rras i made a dialup interface and pointed it at the 10.10.1.1 nic.
on the win2kpro box i can ping names ping ips. the server when i establish a connection assigns 10.0.0.14,255.255.255.255 to the dial-up interface and i can ping this from the win2kpro machine.
when i try to use ie on the win2kpro box all positions uncheck in lan setup it won't detect proxy if i check auto detect is looks for proxy, however both situations result in the same host not found from ie.

this is driving me bats....t!?###

thanks
winn

Did you use the wizard for configuring ICS on the RRAS server? If you did, I think there was a bug in ther wizard but I am not sure if it was for ICS or VPN.

What kinda of connection do you have? DSL, Cable, Dial up? I am running NAT through RRAS on a 2k server off my cable modem going into port 1 of a dual port NIC. Port 2 is the local interface.

BigC666: Make sure you use the NAT setup if you are running DSL / Cable modem directly into a NIC port. And ICS if you have one of those MSN DSL modems from Qwest going into a NIC port, dial up would be the same...

mattwray: I am not sure why you said to NOT use a gateway on the local port? I have mine set to point back to itself and it works with no problems. If you could tell me why NOT to o this I would be greatly appriciative.

i'm using an internal dial-up modem.

thanks
winn

IoN6, it may be working for now, but it will only cause you heartache. The proper configuration for the internal NIC is static with no gateway.. Check out the posts about RRAS dropping connections and 90% that will be the cause, I know, I found out the hard way.. With all my users screaming "Why can't I send Email!" Matt Wray
CCNA, MCP
mwray77518@yahoo.com

Hmmm... I'll keep an eye on it. But I've got ~20 days of uptime before reboot and have not lost connection yet. And it has been this way for almost a year. But thank you for the heads up.

BigC666

I am setting up a Win2K Server test box and ran into something similar after I installed a service pack. IPconfig seemed to tell me everything was right but the NIC would not connect to the web. Finally I uninstalled the NIC then reinstalled and it worked.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back